A cheap laser to satisfy the beast until the GF comes?

This would in no way replace my GF but may be a something to tie us over?

http://m.gearbest.com/m-images-a-goods-goods_id-290387.html

http://m.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290387.html?utm_source=GB&utm_medium=LUFFY&utm_campaign=YOUTUBE

Edit to add product link and description.

3 Likes

Do you have a link to the product page for purchase? :grin:

1 Like

Whoops! That second link was supposed to be it. Here!

http://m.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290387.html?utm_source=GB&utm_medium=LUFFY&utm_campaign=YOUTUBE

My only concern regarding such cheap Chinese laser cutters are that (coming into Canada) they’ll get ensnared by CBSA under Health Canada regulations, since they’re most likely not adequately labelled and as part of their “this is why we can’t have cool things” anti-lasing aircraft restrictions.
http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/security-securite/radiation/devices-dispositifs/consumer-consommateur/laser-eng.php

I considered getting a 2-5W head for my Shapeoko CNC and going that route, but the regulations scared me off, TBH.

1 Like

Good point. I heard about that whole Laser thing here in Canada. Lol. I’m not going to purchase it. Just interesting.

1 Like

I’m not sold that there would be an issue, looking over the regulations. You could probably just email a vendor and ask if they’d had any issues sending them to Canada.

It entirely depends on the Class of laser, and whether it’s handheld or not. Most of the newer regulations are centered on banning high-power (Class IIIB or higher) handheld lasers. Section II of the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA) defines:

"danger to human health or safety” means any unreasonable hazard — existing or potential — that is posed by a consumer product during or as a result of its normal or foreseeable use and that may reasonably be expected to cause the death of an individual exposed to it or have an adverse effect on that individual’s health — including an injury — whether or not the death or adverse effect occurs immediately after the exposure to the hazard, and includes any exposure to a consumer product that may reasonably be expected to have a chronic adverse effect on human health.

If it’s Class IIIB or higher, they’ll probably have to show proof that the lasers have proper electrical grounding, or if there are there emergency cutoff and gate switches. Chances are if it’s not battery powered, or it’s a handheld that’s lower than Class IIIB (ie.- < 500 milliwatts), you won’t have a problem. On the positive side, if it’s a laser component ONLY that’s a) not portable handheld, and b) used for a specific commercial purpose (like engraving), you probably wouldn’t have any problem.

Extra stuff I’ve read:

Yes, I did read the link.

As you say, I think it would hinge entirely upon how customs views a component like this. I don’t think you would have a problem, and you seem to agree. Buying a handheld, battery-operated, high-powered laser is another matter entirely, though.

The guy that posted the video to the facebook page is from Toronto. I would assume he had it shipped to him…

@jrnelson Yep, completely. I wish we had some CBSA folks to ask for sure.

@tbelhumer Good to know! I would have been surprised if he ran into much trouble, given that it’s obviously not a handheld laser. I think the fact it came as a full kit requiring assembly helped.

I’m still concerned that importing a “Laser Engraver” (as in a complete finished product) begs far fewer questions and is easier to explain. I fear the kind of conversations that go:

"Yes, it’s a laser (head) for my laser engraver I’m making… uh, sure, it’s handheld, technically… but it’s more a component, a piece of a larger machine, not meant for individual use… " (et cetera).

By the way, please do be very careful - unlike an IR beam, this will happily go right through glass, acrylic, and the lens of your eyeball, right to where it can do the most harm! Read up on Class IV laser safety…

4 Likes

Ha-ha, good to know. :slight_smile: Yay for IR beams!