Are we the Bank?

In addition, the grammar was really poor, which for me is always a turnoff.

2 Likes

Heh, me too. My sister is an English Lit. Professor, I made this for her:

5 Likes

Really didnā€™t get too much of a negative vibe from it. I believe the author may be a veteran of a bunch of Kickstarter or similar products. Itā€™s great for everyone to be a little cynical and have the mindset of a realist for these types of projects. There are certainly a lot of unknowns. Still, If only 85% of the capabilities were ever delivered and the unit was six months late, I would still be happy with my purchase. Everyone else has their own threshold. If immediate gratification is the most important issue, that point may have already passed. (BTW: Iā€™m an engineer who is very comfortable with Math/Logic and have far, far less than average communication and verbal scores. Treat me kindly, for I know not what I say)

5 Likes

@ jdodds If you are happy with late fall, can I have your place in line?:slightly_smiling:

1 Like

After the ā€œIā€™d be happy if I had it land in my shop by late fallā€, I think you missed the
ā€œWell, proportionate to my place in line anyhowā€ part of that post. :wink:

2 Likes

Hey, if you donā€™t like the risk or the terms of the deal, donā€™t participate. That is the wonderful thing about a free society, your money is your own to spend however you choose. Iā€™m sure that you will be able to go out and buy a GF in a couple of years without having to wait, so you have options.

1 Like

I have to say that the most frustrating thing of this crowdfunding has been that @dan called it a ā€œ3d laser printerā€, and people that donā€™t know how computer controlled lasers (or milling) work started throwing their wallets at the screen and impulse bought it based on magic.

3 Likes

Even more annoying were those who when you tell them about it, they start heckling you about how ā€œitā€™s not an additive process and therefore not 3-d printer blah blah blah blah, same as all other laser cutters and more blah blah blah blah!ā€ and donā€™t bother to even learn anything more about it & see how it is actually much different from other ones.

Whatever, shake 'em off like dandruff, I say.

3 Likes

Donā€™t wanna wait? Get a refund.
Willing to wait? Complaining wonā€™t help.

Real bankers donā€™t have the option to get a refund available to them. (And, by the way, most crowdfunders donā€™t have the option either.)

If youā€™re a fan of crowdfunding I donā€™t see how you could have believed you were placing a pre-order. Even if you were dazzled by the slick video, you still shouldnā€™t have expected your laser cutter to ship in December, or even within three weeks of December.

4 Likes

Perfect word. Cranky. Thatā€™s the feeling I was getting, too.

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œdan_berry, post:47, topic:1352ā€]
ā€œ3d laser printerā€
[/quote]ā€¦This has been the description of the Glowforge since we all began this adventureā€¦and Dan has said numerous times that it is the description given to the Glowforge by other peopleā€¦not by Dan or the team. I donā€™t even know what to call it when I try to tell someone about it because it is rather an enigma. OKā€¦someone come up with an accurate description of the Glowforge? A-sort-of-kind-of-printer-thing-that-uses-a-laser-but-cuts-things-out. Sorry, I digressed from the topic.

3 Likes

Hmmm. Well letā€™s see. A laser cutter / engraver doesnā€™t assemble 3D magic. But it sure makes the parts that we can assemble into amazing things.
And typically an actual 3D printer doesnā€™t assemble anything of any particular instance either. Unless we (you guessed it probably) get involved. It looks like we are the Droid we are looking for.

4 Likes

The word print comes from the latin word premere, which means to press, so it has nothing to do with additive creation. However, these days, ā€˜printā€™ has started to become synonymous with hitting a button and something you designed gets spit out.

If you think about other pressing machines, they usually use a die to imprint and cut materials. As glowforge is accomplishing a very similar procedure, only using light, Id say that Im actually OK with this term. Comparatively speaking some 3d printers arent really ā€˜pressingā€™ anything either, they are only melting/bonding, so it could be a more accurate description for the glowforge in this case.

5 Likes

A few years ago I attended a working group dealing with cyber security. The chair and several senior members spent a full hour trying to come up with a good name for the working group. Apparently they wanted it to stand out in Pentagon reports. Told them I would be back when they were ready to discuss technical issues. (just poking fun)

5 Likes

Personally, Iā€™m fine with 3D printerā€¦but itā€™s interesting to me and I enjoy reading others thoughts about it.

1 Like

A rose is still a rose by any other nameā€¦ I understand that the description can be a little misleading, but itā€™s kinda hard not to see that itā€™s just a laser. burns stuff. cuts stuff. they can call it Susan for all I care as long as i can burn stuff. and cut stuff lol :smiley:

2 Likes

ā€œIā€™m going to go home and rethink my lifeā€

2 Likes

Shirley you must be joking.

1 Like
2 Likes

Star Forge Haiku

1 Like