Beta Project: 3D Depth Engrave Initial Tests

In an attempt to try and learn more about how to create my own designs using gradient 3D depth grayscale engraving, I used google image search and I found some images online to try out.

Keep in mind that these are fairly low resolution ‘web’ images to start with. I did increase the resolution to 300dpi (keeping the ‘print’ dimensions the same) and they are small. I’m sure that much higher quality source images would produce much higher quality results with much finer detail. Pretty sure these may be intended for CNC usage also. I was basically only trying to see what would happen printing these on the :glowforge:, so I could compare the results with the original pics as a learning/discovery exercise. :wink:

Also, they were all done using manual settings on the beta machine at a low lpi and a few varied speed settings just to again see what the results would be. I’m pleased with the results I got, and have a better understanding of what I need to do to create some of my own down the line. :slight_smile:

Pics and some vids below!

And a timelapse recording of this engrave:

All together with a bobby pin for scale

Thanks for checking this project out! :grin:
-R

106 Likes

Wow. Those look pretty good! I like the old-timey look of the first video!

7 Likes

Nice to see some engraving. These are looking good, I can’t wait to try it
out myself.

6 Likes

This is epic.

(Of course, I only see bugs that we’re fixing… but still epic!)

29 Likes

Nice!!! :thumbsup:

17 Likes

If it’s not too much trouble, could you link to the images you used? I’d like to see how the file compares so I can better understand how the design part works, but I wasn’t able to find them googling at random :slight_smile: I understand if you cant post them here directly, but even the right search terms would be helpful in tracking them down.

10 Likes

Can you give us an idea of the time for each one? Or the rate of the time lapse? 2X, 10x?

7 Likes

Just one word for that…squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :fireworks::tada::heart::glowforge::squeeee::squeeee::squeeee::glowforge:

14 Likes

Omg. Drooool. I need this in my life
Well done sir

15 Likes

These are really very cool. Excellent choices for your first tries!

+1

• Tom
4 Likes

Well that is just awesome!

Reminds me of my time in Korea (yes South)

3 Likes

@RyanMilles, is that running two different engraving depths simultaneously in a single pass on the video?

1 Like

I actually love the slight pixilated look the low res images show off.
@dan are you able to share what the bug is? My software developer brain is curious.

1 Like

Chuckle! You’re the only one who sees bugs… :wink:

22 Likes

Love it. And in some cases the lower Rez creates an interesting overall vibe. Really like those.

4 Likes

Holy crud. The detail is amazing.

3 Likes

I wake up. Pre coffee I check the Glowforge forum like every normal person does then proceed to “WTH” is that crawling around on my my iPad… Thanks Jules…lol

18 Likes

Seeing the bobby pin for scale surprised me. I didn’t picture them that small. What kind of wood did you use? I also didn’t think the Glowforge could cut that deep in a single pass. That is beautiful work and thank you for sharing. :smiley:

9 Likes

@RyanMilles, what was the lighter colored wood you used? (Top right in the group pic) Love the contrast on that one.

2 Likes

@Jules got me too.

I tried to squish it…

7 Likes