Beta Project: An accuracy challenge

The brother and sister? Or just the extra digits??? :scream:

8 Likes

Haha. Just the digits. :joy:

2 Likes

Best example of unclear antecedent I have ever seen in the wild. Sharp eyes.

7 Likes

I love a good garden path sentence.

4 Likes

Good to hear! I was on the board of directors for an industrial laser cutting company. We ventured into printed quilting rulers (laser cut blanks). We had great challenges with managing temperatures to keep the measures accurate. We finally nailed it. We were screen printing the measures, so it may have been an issue with the screens responding to temps. Perhaps laser etching was a better choice.

2 Likes

I am curious as to whether or not the graduations are vector scored or raster engraved. This is not a question. But in comparison to my rulers, the ticks on the zodiac ruler don’t have any zigzag effect as far as I can tell from this photo. Again, just wondering out loud.

2 Likes

Yea, sorry, I don’t recall what I used.

2 Likes

Here is the logic behind Imperial Measurements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7x-RGfd0Yk

I like to keep a few Barley or Poppy Seeds in my pockets just in case

13 Likes

I had no idea it was all tied together so well.

2 Likes

You’ve convinced me, there’s no reason to switch to metric it’s all so much clearer now.w

2 Likes

As i say, apart from the need to keep a few Barley seeds in your pocket (and lets face it, who doesn’t do that anyway) it is a perfectly logical structure that has helped make Liberia and Myanmar the economic powerhouses they are today

Jokes aside most of my US friends (in the US as opposed to OS and thus in Metric countries) are able, if not comfortable with the Metric system, unless they were in the military or scientific community then they were pretty fluent.
Interestingly I used to assist with Carpentry work in Japan, on old style structures, and there we used a mix of millimeters, fractions of an inch and the Japanese native measurement of ‘sun’ (pronouncing ‘Su’ as in Soup) - which was a bit larger than an inch. Now THAT was confusing.

9 Likes

Sounds like an exceptional family…being “normal” is over rated. :wink:

4 Likes

Seems to me the logic of using metric, or SI units, is the whole base ten, or the just moving the decimal point thing. Great for when pencil and paper, or the abacus, was the primary computational method. If you’re arguing to replace feet and pounds and gallons with another measurement system you should jump into the future - go base sixteen; go with something that is bitwise math friendly; or if you really want to make a jump go with something that is quantum computing friendly.

4 Likes

I would not mind that at all!
I used to program in Assembly way way back and learned to love Hexadecimal.
Not quite sure that most people, who see even algebra as maths danger-zone, are gonna jump at the thought of binary number systems.

3 Likes

I loved Assembly…way back then…lol. Not sure I could do it now though…lol

1 Like

I know I couldnt. And I was really good at it :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Amen to both these.
When i returned to Australia after my first 3 years away i took a long look at the ‘extensive and exhaustive’ notes i made on my programs (on dot-matrix printouts lol)… they literally made no sense.
From spending hours a day coding to not being able to even read that code any more in just 3 years :frowning:

Anyway, C# is my love now, that is good enough for me

3 Likes

I’m also an old assembly programmer and hexadecimal fan. It really came in useful when visiting Disneyworld a few decades ago.

They had a memory game, where they flashed a 4x4 array of lights for a short time. Then you had to remember which lights were on.

Think of the 1’s as being lit:
1 0 0 1
0 1 1 1
1 0 1 0
1 1 0 0

All I had to do is remember 9, 7, A, C, and convert that back to binary. Totally freaked my kids out how well I could remember the patterns!

A parting programmer joke: Why do programmers always confuse Halloween and Christmas?

Because 31(OCT) == 25(DEC)!

17 Likes

I’ve never written any myself, but I worked with a guy whose first job was maintaining a pile of assembly code. There was a total of one comment in it: “This is the tricky part”.

6 Likes

I had one program I did that in - it was incredibly complex and so many moving parts with such a huge impact on the core structure of the system that I put one comment in “If you think you need to modify this, better to rewrite it from scratch.” It took me 3 months to write and every one of the architects and code reviewers agreed - never touch it :slight_smile:

Some things are not worth fixing - better to start over.

5 Likes