Bottles or wine glass

hi! can I engrave wine bottles or wine glass? Because of the curve! An also ceramic mugs.

1 Like

The max height for an object in the Glowforge is 1.5", so wine bottles/glasses/mugs are too big.

1 Like

True, plus I’m pretty sure the auto-focus will only compensate for 1/2" so the curvature is problematic. “Traditional” lasercutters use an optional rotating stage to hold the objects, which isn’t a possibility with the GF.

1 Like

You can possibly engrave the top part of a round object and then rotate it by hand after each print to engrave the rest. A wine glass is still too big of course but a it may work for a smaller object.

The salt and pepper shakers they showed in a demo appear to be thicker than 1.5" – wondering how they did that?

2 Likes

They are 1.5" on the nose

5 Likes

Regarding the height issue. In the intro video there are some coffee/sugar/tea jars that have been engraved. Understandably they are flat surfaces but their size is similar to that of a bottle so could you still engrave for example a whiskey bottle intended for a gift?

1 Like

Wasn’t anything glass or anything larger than about 1/4" in the intro video. Think you are talking about the spice jars shown on the main web page. Those are the glass containers Dan says are 1.5" wide. Camera zoom without other objects for perspective makes them seem much larger.

1 Like

True, i just realised my eyes were deceived and i was confused.
Would be great to put a bottle in and engrave it as a more personal gift

1 Like

Oops, we didn’t mean those to look big! They’re just normal spice shakers, courtesy Amazon.

1 Like

So to be clear the laser head clears items up to 1.5" with no fear of hitting the item and can focus up that close?

Is the honeycomb vector cutting table removable, or easily removed?

As I understand it…Yes. On the Basic Gf or the Pro GF and not using the pass through, and only if you remove the bottom grate. At that point the top of a flat 1.5" object is within the focus of the camera/laser. With the grate installed it only can focus on a maximum 1/2" high object. The key is getting the top of the object within a specific 1/2" focus range of the laser head . Still can only cut 1/4" deep on most organic materials.

1 Like

Yes. Easily removable to allow etching an object between 1" - 1 1/2" high. Leave the grate in and you can etch materials 0" - 1/2" high. Restriction being the limited focus range of the optics. You can only cut to about 1/4" deep on materials. (Wood, acrylic, etc.) My understanding.

1 Like

You all have it. You can see the grate going in at 30s:

2 Likes

Oh wow. The grate is much smaller than I expected! That’s exciting. Haha

Thanks for giving this thread a bump to my latest list. I had seen that video a dozen times I am sure, but never noticed the “front loading” of materials on the grate. Everything else I had seen seemed to show loading from the top.

1 Like

Dan any chance you might have a link to those spice jars on Amazon? I spent quite a bit of time searching to no avail … perhaps my search technique needs some polishing? I yearn for those days where ±; etc actually meant something to search engines.

1 Like

It’s been too long to know the exact jars, but something like this would probably work.
https://www.amazon.com/SimpleHouseware-Square-Spice-Bottles-label/dp/B01NCLWU1G/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1536820536&sr=1-6&keywords=spice+jars

4 Likes