Can we see pictures of the Glowforge units in the office?

Nice. Those look like ULine carts are they?

Now can we see them arranged in a circle? How about three 'Forges in a “Zee” (thats a Living Color Homie the Clown reference since nobody gets my humor)

And the winner for the 2016 Glownastics is…

4 Likes

Like wagon trains?? (Yes, I too watched John Wayne movies)

2 Likes

Yes, exactly like wagon trains! :slight_smile:

while we’re on the topic, how about arranged into a herd, like cattle? LOL… this is me, sober. you dont want to know what I come up with while not sober.

4 Likes

Can confirm, ULine cart, with flat shelves.

https://www.uline.com/BL_1879/Uline-Utility-Carts-with-Flat-Shelf

Make sure you get the version with flat shelves, otherwise the top is indented to stop parts from rolling off. Those carts are now in our machine shop. :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

Are those ULine carts…with flat surface? :glowforge: oops maybe I shouldn’t put in another Companies name ?..lol ok ok edit …just saw @terence response.

Thanks that’s what I thought. Not a lot of places have carts with a flat top - most have a lip around the top probably to help keep things from sliding off. The flat top U-line wouldn’t need a plywood top made for it.

1 Like

Wait… So you only have on the order of 25-50 units in house (including the broken ones)? So you weren’t even close to shipping out by end of the year and that would have been very apparent for a long time…

1 Like

Yeah, right… Sure… Real Glowforges. And here’s a real unicorn:

Nice try, @dan. :wink:

8 Likes

Production units will go straight from the factory to customers.

5 Likes

yeah i had a question about that @dan … now are they going to come off the production line and go straight to the customer or are they going to be stockpiled then at a strategic times ship to many many customers?

Pure speculation but given the pronounced shipping costs I can’t imagine much is stopping Flex from just having fedex or whoever pick them up on a daily basis.

3 Likes

kinda what i was thinking too but you never know they could want to do a mass shipping thing … i run a small business and we ship every thing we make once a week in mass so idk Glowforges shipping list is much larger then mine so i figured they would do it daily but then there will be people getting angry that theirs wasn’t shipped yet and others are getting there’s before them so i was thinking that maybe they might do a mass shipping idk they might call up ups or fedex and be like "hey we need like 50 trucks here for like a million lbs of lasers please "lol

3 Likes

Absolutely. You have to remember though that Glowforge isn’t going to be shipping them, Flex is. They’ve probably got something going out everyday given their magnitude.

2 Likes

ya so I have worked at a few places and one of them had trucks non stop through the day… Ever look at a factory and wonder why they have 20 loading docks…you have to remember the small FedEx ups home deliver truck doesn’t pick things up from these places the 53foot trailer does. We know the general dimensions of the glowforge shipping box so if someone wants to do napkin math you can figure put how many will fit on the truck and how many trucks it will take

Pre-production units are intended for use, not building up in inventory, so they’ll go somewhere right away - but at least half are intended for internal destinatiions like testing labs (one lab alone needs 50 of them!).

16 Likes

Wow!!!

3 Likes

I’M NOT TALKING ABOUT PER-PRODUCTION UNITS!!!

I don’t think caps lock is really necessary.

5 Likes