Codex Silenda KickStarter

Someone posted this here earlier:

Their kickstarter is now live at:

17 Likes

Codex files will be available for download at $80K stretch goal.

Update: Fully funded.

5 Likes

Link straight to Kickstarter (for those like me who didn’t want to have to google it)

6 Likes

I’ve backed 2 of them (he deserves some return on his effort) before I buy the files too and make my own. He’s managing the Kickstarter very well.

I did warn him that he’s probably setting his sights too low - I’m thinking he’s an order of magnitude off what it’s going to end at. At the least.

2 Likes

I didn’t pay close attention… but hopefully he set maximum available numbers for EVERY tier. If he will cut them all himself, he NEEDS to have a hard cap on how many he will release.

I really want to get one. And even said I would in the first thread. But now that he does have a kickstarter I am wondering how to justify it… wife isn’t a big puzzle lover, or I would totally do a customized pre-Christmas order.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s capping each one and the total he thinks he can build. He is building them himself (with help from a bunch of friends) but these are one-off creations - especially his customized versions. We were discussing his stretch goals - he was adding custom pages, etc. and I thought the range was too narrow that they weren’t as “stretch” as he thought. He wasn’t convinced and now he’s gone through 4 stretch targets. The custom story for the puzzle is a great idea because it makes it a really unique gift for someone.

1 Like

They are at 76K already !!! I funded the unassembled codec

1 Like

I backed the build it yourself version for $125. That way I’ll have one to build as I wait for my Glowforge and lasercut the other one from the digital files.

I feel that he may have set his prices too low. By the time you buy the materials, lasercut them, stain and assemble, there isn’t much left over from the $175 purchase price.

2 Likes

$80K Reached. Files will be available for $80.

2 Likes

And that may be my buy in.

Yup, just backed at the files level. I wonder if we get all 7 pages, or have to also pay extra for the added pages from stretch goals…

Anyway, I know what we will be giving everyone for Christmas presents next year.

@jacobturner your avatar is on the “some others who have joined this project” listing :slightly_smiling_face:

Now if only I could convince Anonymous or some other innovative trickster to trigger the theme music auto-magically wherever it shows…

2 Likes

Heads up for anyone not following in the comments for this Kickstarter:

The creator suggests for cutting your own you should have a 12x24 bed, and 60 Watts.

Now, it is designed for 1/4" thickness wood. Which Glowforge can handle. So the 60W is more about total cut time than a requirement. But I cannot speak for the 12x24 being an optimal or an actual “There is a piece which will use the full 24” length" requirement.

So, Pro users will be able to cut this on their Glowforge. But those of you with a Basic may have to take a piece or two out to a makerspace to finish the book for yourself.

NOTE: I said “may have to” I have no clue if there will be any single part which is more than 20" long (and wide enough you cannot cut it on a diagonal by itself)

4 Likes

Looking at the book I can’t imagine any piece being 24 inches. I would guess that the plans are on a template that is 12x24 . Again, all speculation at this point. Although - now I’m wondering… If we get the plans, can we re scale them to make a “small” codex? That would be kind of kewl to have smaller version… :grinning:

2 Likes

Scaling it down may be extra tricky since there are so many interconnected parts. If any connections are thickness dependent, that will cause issue.

And of course you need to remain large enough that the smallest part in the entire book remains strong enough to survive human touch.

1 Like

I’ve been looking a little at that problem with planning to print one of those prosthetic hands. A bunch of things there don’t scale.

Depends on whether you’re using the generator or which version of the hands - some of the older ones didn’t scale well. I’ve been doing work on some R&D designs with eNable on some new designs and part of the testing is scaling them at different sizes to see what abnormalities pop up.

Glad to hear it. I was looking just at the downloadable files (don’t remember at the moment which version) and noting the changes in required hardware and clearances… If I had better CAD tools it would be easy-ish, but at the STL level things are pretty immutable.

All new ones are parametric designs so different components get sized differently (like pins, holes, thumb vs finger size, etc.). Makes fitting them much easier.

4 Likes