Curved Surfaces

Hah! I just sold my 74 MGB convertible to do the same thing!

3 Likes

Wait… I specifically bought my Glowforge to engrave my vintage convertible, and now I find the Z axis clearance isn’t big enough? I’m shocked I tell ya…

Seriously tho’, being able to put a 2x4 through the Pro model on it’s side (Z = 3 1⁄2") would be a monster architectural hit. Just a suggestion.

5 Likes

Duly noted, Simon. (That sounds pretty awesome actually).

2 Likes

I do wish it would be possible to increase the pass through height on the pro. I was hoping for something that could possibly make this baseball bat,

, possible. That all said, I’m looking forward to possible stitch & glue kayak designs.

How high is the Pro’s bay door? Also, how does the pro continue the cutting, does it sync cuts given the previous cutting having a known edge?

1 Like

I was thinking about how the continuous feed work would go, as well. Using the camera to sync seems the most likely. Sure, it isn’t possible with the Glowforge, but would the bat simply burn a strip at a time and line everything up with a similar syncing technique?

@koos42 the passthrough is 3/8, but it’s aligned with the tray to be optimized for 1/4" material.

1 Like

Is the 1.5" Z clearance the official number? I’ve been looking around for that info and haven’t seen it anywhere else. I was wondering about engraving on something like a pint glass, for example, and wasn’t sure if the machine would be able to handle it.

Thank you!

While it seems that the Z clearance may not be enough for a pint glass or baseball bat, that doesn’t mean you can’t use the glowforge as an integral part of the creation process. The laser cutter should be able to cut a pretty good stencil from vinyl sticker for sand blasting or perhaps acid etching your drinkware.

@septimus39 - in my limited experience, laser etched glass is not terrific (other people may have better results). I have had much better luck laser-cutting stencils and then using that to etch the glass as stated by @koos42

koos42… Just a heads up that you never want to cut vinyl in a laser cutter. Vinyl sheeting is made with Polvinyl Chloride (PVC). The chloride changes to chlorine gas when heated, and I’m sure you don’t want Chlorine gas floating around your workspace.

3 Likes

Good point. Now I have even more incentive to sell my 61 porsche. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No! I’m all for the Glowforge, but not “sell-the-Porsche” for it. Let alone a '61. (A 944, that’s a different matter) :wink:

1 Like

I don’t think I could fit it in the Glowforge to engrave it anyway… :wink:

Is there another stenciling material people use instead of vinyl?

Mylar or any other polyester film should be able to accomplish what you’re trying to do. Can’t speak from experience though.

2 Likes

I definitely sold my Chevrolet Nova to buy a Glowforge. Out with the old toys, in with the new tools!

1 Like

to make sure I’m reading this right - we can cut/engrave up to 1.5" as long as it is small enough to fit inside the machine (without tray)? the passthrough cannot be used for anything larger than 1/4? I envisioned myself engraving lines and numbers on long boards for growth charts but would want to use thicker than 1/4 for something like that

PS I would love to see photos and videos of the machine being used with longer materials.

1 Like

Well, those that sold their cars can apparently build a replacement with their Glowforge… Lexus did this.

13 Likes

I etch on glass… you have to get the power settings correct. I use wet newsprint or tissue paper to cover the area and the etching gives it a frost look. Without the tissue, it can be a bit hazy around the edges.

5 Likes

nice tip - look forward to trying it

1 Like