Design Challenge #1

Just to clarify, you mean LEDs, AVRs, ICs, etc are NOT allowed, correct?

It depends, what is an AVR What is an IC? :thinking:

@karaelena, what say you? :relaxed:

1 Like

“Your mission, should you choose to accept it”

-rebecca Regular

3 Likes

This is a terribly exciting, and terribly frustrating. As I have never had a GF or any laser cutter. I don’t fully understand its capacities or limitations. I do on paper, but it’s not the same.

I definitely feel slightly handicapped in this.

6 Likes

Indeed, this is why anything I submit will come with a giant disclaimer of “concept only, vectors need to be perfected with real laser and real materials”.
CNC and 3d printing proves this out. I am getting better but things almost always need tweaking.

2 Likes

I guess I’ll be the one to pop this cherry:

I’ve actually got a little material left. I could maybe make some little wooden livestock to throw

(Oh, and for an idea of scale and explanation, the round central pivot is sized for a standard round pencil.)

40 Likes

No promises, but if you include an SVG and materials list with your submission… well, who knows what would happen.

18 Likes

IC = integrated circuit. AVR is a type of computer chip architecture. Basically electronics.

I see karaelena edited the post to add not.

1 Like

To be clear, I like any siege engine, but my like was for including wooden livestock. I’ll throw in a row of :+1::clap: if you add an engrave of, “your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries” on it.

15 Likes

Very good!

Thanks! I’ll add the acronyms to my ever expanding list of new terms.

1 Like

This is FANTASTIC! :tada::boom::confetti_ball: Thanks for being the first to post a project.

Yes, livestock, please. :cow2::sheep::pig2::baby_chick::rooster::goat:

4 Likes

Oh shoot, now I’m going to need to figure out how to actually convert things into usable formats.

I think this did it… maybe? Help! @smcgathyfay! I need an adult!

and I’ll see about drawing up some livestock ammo for it.

ETA: Oh, and it’s drawn assuming 1/4" stock. I was imagining wood, but I suppose it doesn’t make much difference. Clear acrylic? It’d look like Wonder Woman got a siege engine from the same people who built her jet.

ETA2: Updated a mismeasured part on the SVG based off of @smcgathyfay’s suggestions, but did not change for the kerf, yet.

13 Likes

That’s pretty sweet!! It would go well on my desktop to hurl things at my son when he gets off topic during homeschool… lol :laughing::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

That downloaded fine into CorelDraw and inkscape. Just had to ungroup and remove the material outline. I think you’re good to go.

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yay! Now we just have to hope GFHQ isn’t reduced to rubble by tiny trebuchets.

11 Likes

Aww solidworks doesnt play well with svg…
CorelDraw it is.

1 Like

I had just started drawing up a trebuchet before checking this thread - looks like I should find something else to submit… or try to outdo you :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Ha! Great minds…
I’m down for a medieval arms race if you are :grin:

oooh, someone should do a ballista that can fire pencils!

7 Likes

Ok one thing I did notice is that the slots and tabs seem to be the same size. This doesn’t account for kerf. It’s the difference of tight fit/no glue or loose fit/with glue.

1 Like