Design Challenge #1

IC = integrated circuit. AVR is a type of computer chip architecture. Basically electronics.

I see karaelena edited the post to add not.

1 Like

To be clear, I like any siege engine, but my like was for including wooden livestock. Iā€™ll throw in a row of :+1::clap: if you add an engrave of, ā€œyour mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberriesā€ on it.

15 Likes

Very good!

Thanks! Iā€™ll add the acronyms to my ever expanding list of new terms.

1 Like

This is FANTASTIC! :tada::boom::confetti_ball: Thanks for being the first to post a project.

Yes, livestock, please. :cow2::sheep::pig2::baby_chick::rooster::goat:

4 Likes

Oh shoot, now Iā€™m going to need to figure out how to actually convert things into usable formats.

I think this did itā€¦ maybe? Help! @smcgathyfay! I need an adult!

and Iā€™ll see about drawing up some livestock ammo for it.

ETA: Oh, and itā€™s drawn assuming 1/4" stock. I was imagining wood, but I suppose it doesnā€™t make much difference. Clear acrylic? Itā€™d look like Wonder Woman got a siege engine from the same people who built her jet.

ETA2: Updated a mismeasured part on the SVG based off of @smcgathyfayā€™s suggestions, but did not change for the kerf, yet.

13 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty sweet!! It would go well on my desktop to hurl things at my son when he gets off topic during homeschoolā€¦ lol :laughing::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

That downloaded fine into CorelDraw and inkscape. Just had to ungroup and remove the material outline. I think youā€™re good to go.

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yay! Now we just have to hope GFHQ isnā€™t reduced to rubble by tiny trebuchets.

11 Likes

Aww solidworks doesnt play well with svgā€¦
CorelDraw it is.

1 Like

I had just started drawing up a trebuchet before checking this thread - looks like I should find something else to submitā€¦ or try to outdo you :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Ha! Great mindsā€¦
Iā€™m down for a medieval arms race if you are :grin:

oooh, someone should do a ballista that can fire pencils!

7 Likes

Ok one thing I did notice is that the slots and tabs seem to be the same size. This doesnā€™t account for kerf. Itā€™s the difference of tight fit/no glue or loose fit/with glue.

1 Like

Trebuchet battleā€¦Iā€™m sure thereā€™s more than a few ways to design a trebuchetā€¦love to see your version

2 Likes

Thereā€™s just something about Geeks, nerds, and medieval Siege weapons.

6 Likes

Argh, stupid kerf. I mean I sorta assumed glue anyway, but thatā€™s a frustrating thing to overlook. Is it not possible to align to cut outside of the path so that the kerf is wholly in the waste material?

1 Like

Honesty Iā€™ve never tried with the softwareā€¦lol
But with so many hills and valleys so to speak it would be alot of inside outside adjustments

1 Like

If you decide to do a ā€œhow toā€ video, these are the kinds of things that us non-laser types want to know how to understand. I would have thought that the amount of material that is lost when the laser cuts the material would allow the tabs to fit the slots with room for glue. I have soooo much to learn.:cry:

2 Likes

Yes, it would fit with gluing, but when you can get a fit that no glue is necessary, itā€™s pretty nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How do you make the joints tighter?