Engraved foods

Wouldn’t put much stock in the original marketing video. Though it appears to be accurate as to what the Glowforge is capable, the units used were all very, very, early prototypes. The people were actors, motions staged, etc. The plastics were not final although they appear to be close. Don’t misunderstand it does not appear anything in the video was intended to mislead or is noticeably incorrect, just that it was a marketing video intended to show what the Glowforge WILL do. It does make sense that you don’t want to eat something that may be laying in a previously deposited toxic dust.

3 Likes

I have minimal experience with food cutting. But that experience has been universally disgusting.

One of my students used our laser cutter to slice his pizza, because the Pizza Hut guys failed to cut all the way through.

My office was nearly inhabitable, and his pizza tasted like tar.

I assume if you get temperatures EXACTLY right, you can merely cook the food and it is fine. But except for very thin sheets, I doubt you can cut anything and still consider it tasty afterward. But I could easily be wrong.

1 Like

I’m thinking graham crackers would be fun and the high sugar content would caramelize nicely.

Out of an abundance of safety, the chocolate rocket the girl in the marketing video put in her mouth was actually cast from a laser-cut acrylic mold lined with plastic wrap, so the chocolate never touched anything laser-made directly. But the chocorockets were laser cut, although the settings and chocolate formulation took a week to get dialed in!

Is chocolate going to be one of the materials you sell? Frosting barcode? :wink:

3 Likes

We’ve thought about it!

3 Likes

I’ve now found a food use for my Glowforge http://mashable.com/2016/01/08/pizza-cutting-science/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link#DeTkRFxRksqB

5 Likes

I’ll make the pizza!

11 Likes

Wish I could make one of those on a Glowforge.

I don’t understand why those slices are better than triangles, though…

Eat the outer ring first, keeping the center intact and warm?

outer pieces for crust lovers, inner for those other people.

:astonished: Did you make the Pizza Oven yourself?

Yes. It’s s beast.

From The Bread Builders book, or another source?

I’m looking to build one, eventually. But that is several years and a different house away :frowning: . I need a much bigger backyard than I currently have.

mother of god…
I would have pizza every day. what else do you cook in there?

1 Like

That is amazing- I’m so jealous!! My stove is terrible at cooking pizzas- can’t get the bottom to brown nicely no matter what. Maybe this will be a future project…:wink:

Rado Hand’s plans but highly customized for a bigger oven. Couldn’t have done it without Rado! I had always wanted an oven since I lived in Italy but looking at the Bread Builders pushed me forward with building. After assisting on two ovens with some other folks, I focused on my own. Sketchup was essential because I was using mostly recycled blocks and bricks with some custom sizes. The floor is 36 by 48 with a 16" barrel dome. Here is a full frontal but the doors are inside out before I

put the wrought iron hinges on.

7 Likes

I think you meant to post this link. I built a base for one, it’s there in the backyard, but I have yet to complete the oven. I have the materials stockpiled (except a hearth stone), just not an oven.

Thanks. Came back to finish the post after a freeze in Firefox and had something else in the cache. The next step,is tough. I spent pretty much every free moment for four months planning and executing each phase. I had a big nine bag mixer available and that helped. I used my own mix for the concrete having cheap gravel and sand available. Bought lots of lime and some kaolin for the firebrick mortar. Realized that I could only handle two batches a day after I couldn’t move the day after I did three batches. That was pouring the heat sink cladding after the oven brickwork was done. I had some help here and there but did most of it by myself. Imdid firebrick hearth and for the lintel stone I poured a concrete slab reversed on melamine. That saved a lot of time doing the tiling at the entrance and it looks great. Got some maroon color to add to the concrete and it came out great. I do have a wet grinder to polish but you might be able to rent one.