Final strech challenge

Finally got around to thinking about project number two.

I have a lot of game consoles. Currently all the accessories are shoved into a couple drawers, or strewn about the floor.
Downloaded Fusion 360 yesterday. This is the first thing I have made with it:

A simple box for accessories, sized to fit into the drawers of my entertainment center. I may add internal dividers to separate controllers from power and video cables and some sort of hand holds to easily pull the boxes out when needed.

16 Likes

That looks to be a great first F360 project. You should make it parametric and share it. Sure it is just a box, but it looks to be a well thought out one. There is just no telling how many boxes and dividers I’ll make in the first three months! If I did a panorama of my workspaces, you’d understand. “You’ve been robbed!”

2 Likes

I love the idea of custom organizers (e.g. kitchen drawers). Thank you!

2 Likes

So I’ve been working on the Scythe organizer a bit. I’m trying to flesh out the faction boxes. I want a single box for each faction to hold all of the bits (mechs, character, wood bits) for that faction…

It’s not done of course, I need to figure out the proper way to do the lid. The slot on the right is for the four mechs with a channel to hold the base down and not let them move around. The bin on the top left is for the character and has a snap-fit to hold the base. I may need to overlay that with something so the base doesn’t fall out. The final bin is for the wood bits. The lid will be engraved with the faction logo, and the sections might be felted at the bottom to match the color of the faction.

It’s a rough design that will have to be re-done. It isn’t completely parametric, though I did use parametrics a bit. I imagine if I tried to change a setting it would go all wonky.

There is one game insert company working on Scythe and here is their mech/character segment:

I want mine to be separate boxes for each faction, so that’s why I’m taking a slightly different approach.

20 Likes

Love it! Those spring loaded mech holders are perfect as I store my box on the side. Gotta show off the artwork. I do like your idea better if you can make everything fit. Flocking is another option for soft linings.

2 Likes

I like felt with an adhesive backing - I do an outline offset (inwards) to create a cut pattern for the felt from the file used to cut the wooden or acrylic pieces. It’s peel and stick simple. Lasers great.

7 Likes

I didn’t even consider laser cutting felt… Nice!

1 Like

Here is what is likely to be one of my first projects. Combines my Geekiness with my love of Beer. We’ve got a lot of genres covered. Star Trek, Star Wars, Superman, Batman, Marvel’s Agents of Shield & Hunger Games so far. More to come! I designed these in the Silhouette Cameo software and cut them in Heat Transfer Vinyl - usually used for T-shirts and such. I pressed them onto cardboard bar coasters with matching Heroic and Evil logos on either side. I’ve made other coasters like this and the transfers have held up at least as well as the coasters. I want to engrave and cut them out of some hardwood or ply when the GF arrives.

I’ve included PDFs that (I hope) are ready for cutting. I’m not sure if the green outlines around the black areas will be able to be differentiated from the black. This is the plan:

1 Raster Engrave the black areas of the Heroic side.
2 Outline Engrave the green lines (if they are necessary for a crisp look)
3 Cut the red lines.
4 Flip them over and place them in the cut out areas.
5 Line up the Evil graphics using the red lines and the Glowforge camera.
5. Repeat 1 & 2 for the Evil side - turning off the red cut lines.

Please feel free to save and cut these for personal use. I have not licensed any of the corporate logos, so they should not be used for commercial purposes. In the Silhouette software, I used their trace function to get cut lines for the logos - It works very well for high contrast images. The software also has a fair text on a line function that I used for the circular text (it can be kind of finicky). I assigned colors for each item and printed to PDF. Silhouette Designer Edition can import SVGs, but can’t export.

I hope I understood the use of PDFs for the Glowforge and that this first project is one of many successful Laser Adventures.

Heroic Evil GF 3.pdf (1.5 MB)
Heroic Evil GF 2.pdf (1.3 MB)
Heroic Evil GF 1.pdf (1.4 MB)

23 Likes

Oh yeah,
One more thing is in the hopper. I’ve begun to prepare some holiday gift tags - Just in case the 'forge comes in before Christmas. They’d be a great way to show off my new tool to family and friends. I’d say “introduce” them to it, but they ALL know about it. Probably tired of hearing about it. Same cut profile as for the coasters. Black engrave, green line engrave if possible & necessary and finally, a Red cut. The green lines may be a little to delicate, so I might have to remove them to get a good black engrave.

Also, the little red holes are made to run a cord through so they hang horizontally on the package. I might change their color and assign them as a cut just before the red outline cut. Just in case they shift a bit if the outside cuts first.

Here’s hoping for an early holiday presentGift Tags GF.pdf|attachment (1.2 MB)

17 Likes

I love these! Wouldn’t that be really amazing if we got it before Christmas?

5 Likes

Here’s hoping! I’m going to try to be more organized this year. Want to clear the decks in case it comes in before the Holiday. The graphics on these tags are actually just dingbat font files I put into the program. These aren’t always perfect, but shouldn’t be overlooked for quick designs. There are some especially nice flourish fonts out there.

3 Likes

Agreed! There are so many things I want to do that keeping a level head about the realities of shipping dates and the inevitable learning curve time requirements is getting harder and harder. It’s like I’m waiting for Christmas! :innocent:

6 Likes

I know what we are all thinking:

17 Likes

Very nice ! (It’s like 93 days until Xmas ! :scream:)

Ok, so I’ve been saving a lot of cardboard to experiment on before I mess up good wood and plastic. so I have been trying to think of something original I would like to make that is appropriate for cardboard. then it hit me, I could make disposable paint palettes!

so here is my amateur stab at the design (first drawing in fusion 360, I’m a solidworks guy) Paint Palette.dxf (2.7 KB)

12 Likes

Good idea! Don’t forget to spray them with a water-resistant sealer after you cut them.

3 Likes

I was just thinking of using them for oil paints, but that is a great idea for all the other types!

1 Like

My design is coming along. I’ve got the faction box to a point where I’m happy with it. I’ve been working on the overall box and a card tray as well, but I decided to take the faction box to the full design before I spent more time on the rest of it.

Here’s the main box. I decided to use base-holders instead of the rails, mainly because I found that my design was too short for the mechs to stand vertical. I had to widen the box to accommodate them on their side, and in the end I had to re-draw the entire thing because my parametrics were inadequate and caused all of my other components to disappear.

Here’s the lid. It has the upper half of the character and mech base-holders attached to it, and has clips to squeeze the vertical walls of the box, and the holes in the top are so that it can be lifted out of the main box easily.

And here are both pieces in the same image. Bear in mind that this whole box is 130mm long by only 89mm wide, so it’s pretty small. But there will be seven of these in the final box, one for each faction.

16 Likes

Looks good!

1 Like