Fusion 360 for Beginners webinar

Looks like we have 5 - 6 people that would like to attend so far so I think we are in pretty good shape. Bring your questions regardless if you are new or a pro at Fusion 360 and we will play around for a bit. Hope to see you all Thursday.

1 Like

I will try to be available. I have been on Fusions website and taking in all their tutorials. I was able to create a couple different things already.

Thanks @garin_gardiner! That was a big help to get me up and running with Fusion 360!

2 Likes

Hi @garin_gardiner ,

Thanks so much for the webinar! I am new to 3D modeling software, and you offered a great overview of Fusion 360 and of what it can do. My next assignment, watch all the tutorial videos you suggested. I am more motivated than ever to get started!

1 Like

Great run thru. Felt that Fusion 360 was overkill for my purposes but now I could see me spending some significant time with it. Thanks a bunch.

1 Like

For some reason GoToMeeting decided to capture the session as 640 x 480 (really small and only part of the screen) so I re-recorded the session and have it posted here.

If you want to download the part, you can download it here.

4 Likes

Thank you Sir!

1 Like

Thanks @garin_gardiner. The seminar was very useful to me!

1 Like

Nice work!!

Thanks Garin. It’s a great program with a lot of features I do not yet understand. But I have lots of time to learn before my GF arrives.

Nice work. I’m playing with Fusion 360 as well, and I’m liking most of what I see. I’m still a little hesitant with the whole “store everything in the cloud” thing, but I may be able to ignore that based on the other features I see. Mostly I’m nervous that I’m going to spend LOTS of time making these designs, and then one day, the company/tool goes away and I can no longer edit my designs.

Quick question: Does anyone else feel “ill” when they see images that are shown with a Orthographic instead of Perspective view (like the above table)? Or is it just me? I can’t stand having a program in a non-perspective view for very long.

“orthographic”? I’ve not used Fusion 360 and I was being very polite about @bshindorf first efforts and the weird perspective of the table. That’s a feature? Will have to understand this.

Orthographic

Perspective

1 Like

What utility does it bring? Is it practical from a design or engineering sense? And I like the steppers on extrusions. Been dreaming of CNCs.

I mostly work in Orthographic mode/view. Easier to check for clearances and what not.

Thanks. I’ve only used Sketchup and am not a power user. So I checked it out there and noted it is called parallel projection.

By default, Sketchup has perspective turned on, and I’ve gotten used to it.

Fusion 360 seems to be in “Parallel” or “Orthographic” mode by default. As I said, it makes me physically uncomfortable to view certain designs in Parallel/Orthographic. I don’t know why. I can’t look at them for too long.

The design that @karaelena posted is OK. But when it’s something larger like a bookcase or a table, I need it see it in perspective.

I’m wondering if it’s just me.

1 Like

Having taught engineering drafting and graphics on occasion, I’ve interacted with lots of people who worked with orthographic projections. Never heard anyone else mention it bothered them…

Woah. You’re further along that I am and probably most folks on Fusion 360. No one was downing your table. They just had never worked with orthographic projection. Share freely.

I really hope you did not take it down because of my comment. I think the work you were doing was great, and it’s nice to see someone else sharing stuff as they are learning. Especially since I’m learning fusion right now as well.

I was in no way “downing” your table, and making disparaging comments about your designs. I was just asking if other people have issues with “orthographic” views rather than “parallel” views in general. I hate looking at my own designs in orthographic views. I sometimes have to turn it on do so some functions, and I turn if back off immediately because it really bugs me.

I apologize if I came off wrong. Please keep posting your projects. As I said, it’s nice to see what others are doing (from beginners to experts).

1 Like