Glowforge "Best Day Ever" Experience

Not quite…more like using a beam to triangulate

Yes from what Dan has said a beam is sent at a known angle and based on where the beam is found away from center point of projection is the height of the material

Take a piece of yarn fasten it at one point and move the other point 15 degrees away. Now take a flat piece of stock and move it up and down behind the yarm you will see that where the yarn bisects the stock moves. So if where the intersection is 1mm of center then the material is pretty darn close but if it’s 10mm off center the. The material is further away. And if the yarn is 15mm off center from the names bed then that’s zero for height and as the dot moves closer to center of the projection zero the closer/taller the stock is

1 Like

YOU PROMISED

I didn’t think of it like that, but yes, quite accurate!

11 Likes

Wow–high praise indeed, coming from you. You raised my level of faith once again.

8 Likes

I was in Seattle on a whim last weekend, didn’t even think to try to crash the offices of GF. Glad you did and let us all know what you thought!

For the record, I’m well aware of the policy of “no spontaneous tours for visitors” which is why I didn’t go. We did however have a great time visiting Snoqualmie Falls, the space needle, Chihuly glass and the EMP museum.

6 Likes

I respected their policy and did not ask to visit. I just mentioned I was in town and received a special invite. :grinning:

15 Likes

I’m not sure how, but I missed this thread until today! That is so awesome! glad you got to go and meet them! I’ve been so tempted to drive up from Portland many times and try and bribe my way in with donuts and sandwiches, but I know they’re super busy and overwhelmed. Hearing your opinion and observations really helped calm any remaining worries I had. They made a wise decision inviting someone with your experience and clout (on top of how nice and awesome you are) to check it out. I will just have to join the crowd at Maker Faire to get my fix and shake their hands briefly.

4 Likes

I just finished reading the thread you mentioned it in. I assumed that was the case. I’m almost as happy you got a tour as I would be if it had been me. :smiley:

7 Likes

This is what I’m hoping for. A “smartlaser.” Yes, they both lase (laze? made-up words are hard.), but…

It’s made with smartphone tech, too. Right?

3 Likes

So say we all.

5 Likes

I believe lase would be right sticking with the original acronym.

1 Like