Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

Dan has commented in another post.

1 Like

@Dan thanks for the update it is sad but at least its something. not really something I was in a rush to get anyway still need to learn how to model… just wasn’t sure I need a year to do that LOL :slight_smile: guess castles for my chinchilla’s are going to have to wait… but I don’t think adorable harmony can wait a year /grin
/insert cute animal picture to defuse a tense thread
that entry used to be only a arch and a very small window she did that over the course of 4 days

and one month later

anyway I hope things get sorted and things move swimmingly, I have been part of massive projects that have had 5 year plans and on year 4 still have a 5 year plan… so my hope is with you

5 Likes

Oh boy. Ouch. As the ship date drew nearer, and the beta program seemed to be slipping, I’d begun to wonder whether the folks at GF would adopt a ship-or-die philosophy, or would delay shipment. Although it pains me to know that a long-awaited summer of Glowforging is no longer a possibility, I am glad that we will be receiving a machine that GF will be proud of, as opposed to something scarcely beyond beta. (resumes meditation)

1 Like

agree I have seen what happens when projects march to a date instead of QA and its never good. id take incremental s/w updates post ship but hardware you have to get right the first time because there is no way to OTA a xyz widget

2 Likes

I don’t know if there’s anything I can say that would make people feel more confident, but our board member and investor Brad Feld talked to Geekwire if you’d like to hear his thoughts.

We’re building out our team and resources now to keep people going smoothly as they learn to operate their Glowforge.

That’s fair. We’ll earn trust by shipping people a great product, not by anything we say here.

Shared with the whole company. Thank you.

Thank you. It’s painful to admit defeat when we were working so hard to win on this date, but we know it was right…

I am humbled by the trust you put in us, @KitCameo, as well as everyone else; we will do everything possible to live up to it.

Great suggestion - copying @bailey to make sure we do that in a future post.

Unfortunately no - legal regulations would not allow it.

3 Likes

Alright, my two cents I suppose. I’ve watched the forums over the last few months in excitement. Each time I would receive an email from GF I would for a second hope it was THE email informing me of shipping dates (rahhh those digests foil me every time!).
I can’t say I’m not disappointed – my husband and I opted to purchase the GF instead of going on a honeymoon, a choice my husband is extremely regretful for but I just keep saying “just wait, it will be worth it!” I also can’t say I didn’t see this coming. I was hoping it would make my holiday season easier by removing so much of my manual work, but now wait, and hope this is the last major delay, otherwise my husband is going to cut my head off.

From an earlier post:

Don’t remember anything saying sample materials would definitely be included in the original plan. I remember Dan saying they might consider it, but nothing concrete that I can remember.

4 Likes

I missed that note. Thanks.

Hi, Dan, Thank you for the update.
Let me ask 1 question.

I’ve been living in U.S. by the end of this year and will move back to Japan next year.

How will the shipping cost be made up?
The difference is huge!

Thanks,

Hi,

I’m still wondering what will be with the CE certification so we can actually import the device to Europe. Is there a plan on having the certification? If there is no CE certification it will almost 100% for sure be blocked at customs and returned or destroyed. As we sold the device already and our custoner is aware of this risk, we concluded a reverse deal what could lead in making our customer and us lose on this situation as we both took shared risks.

So please consider this important part as it will make import to EU almost impossible if not done by illegal ways.

I would be happy to have a reply from you Dan.

Thx

1 Like

Boom! This Topic has just passed every other Glowforge forum topic for having the most community replies. Yay! (really trying to highlight the positive)

10 Likes

CE certification is something that has been discussed and answered before. Yes they are going after the certification. No info on that as yet but recently it was stated that should there be any unexpected problems you would know well in advance and could get a refund. I’ll see if I can find the most recent post for you.

2 Likes

Ok great as long we get informed before the shipping takes place it’s ok so we can avoid costs.

Thank you

This one is real dumb… Could someone post a link to the Beta Forum? I’ve gone to the root and found Josh’s post. That seems to be in a public area because Dan said he told him not to share details in the comments. Am I blind or is it hidden? I’m logged in with my purchasing account. Thanks!

“Thank you - we really struggled to figure out what was the right way to express our gratitude and thanks for your support.
More to come.”

@dan May I suggest an extension on our 6 month warranty? That is probably the only thing that hasnt sat comfortably in my head. I understand it’s pretty much an industry standard. But the glowforge isn’t a standard! Plus it’s being built in the US now instead of China, so I’m sure you’d feel more comfortable offering that :wink:

It does sting, not getting it in June but I’d rather have a functioning product. As long as I eventually get it, I’m good! Thank you for being honest Dan.

4 Likes

No special forum.

Obviously I’m not Dan, but if you have it shipped to you in the states before the end of the year, wouldn’t you have to pay to later have it shipped to Japan? Whereas if you wait until you move it only gets shipped once. Overall it seems like the shipping cost would be cheaper and it might be better for the unit. Unless I’m missing something obvious.

We’ll this is my second delay on this thing. I ordered mine in November and was told I would get it in April (yes this month) and now I won’t receive it until December or early 2017! My question is has anyone received this thing yet??? I’m asking for a full refund. I could not be more disappointed as I have been eagerly waiting to start my business and all I get is delays. I’d be more patient if I had faith that I’d actually receive this printer.

What happens if you receive a significant amount of requests for refund? What backing do you have to sustain that sort of loss if you lose 50 percent or more of your customers that pre-ordered? How can we as customer have assurance that you will be able to deliver in December? Can you please provide us a update on how many people have already pulled back their funds? Some of us the money is not a trivial amount .

That’s odd. I also ordered in November (first week of Nov) and I was told to expect mine in the 3rd quarter, that is, by October. Where did you see the April thing?