Glowforge User Interface: in search of PRINT

Bottom to top in rastering.

Didn’t think to try that out. Good point. Even though they haven’t tweaked the mobile devices UI, they do function. My first several prints were directed from my iPad.

1 Like

I was asking about the interface. You control the order of operations from the left icons?(under “add”) Thanx

Ha, sorry. I thought you were referring to the earrign cutouts that took place.

Yes, you are correct. And it does a great job parsing the colors of the image file and setting out operations for each of them. So far I have imported up to six different colored lines each needing its own treatment and was able to designate operations for each.

7 Likes

We haven’t announced final dimensions yet, but it’s a safe bet that we’ll do something so you can figure out which way the grain goes. If only because it drives me nuts when I get it wrong. :slight_smile:

Indeed!

We experimented with traditional high pressure air assist - which has comparatively low flow rate, but is coaxial to the beam - and found that the approach we took, of high speed across the cut zone, works better in more cases (although each has its strengths).

18 Likes

That qualifies for cool :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

And by the way, I found that PRINT and used it all afternoon. The Glowforge is working well. Here is a shot of what happens on the screen during the print. The engraving shows up pass by pass. Nice feedback! I can see it on my desktop and do other things. Like post pictures of it. Kind of meta. Also. When it did the circles I had to go check it out. It sounded different and I thought something was wrong. Beautiful sound! A bit of a doppler effect sound as it ramps around.

18 Likes

Great minds think alike…thats what I do too…except I use Corel…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Did the software change since then in Dec to where you cannot rotate images? I’m on firefox browser on windows pc, and I don’t have a rotate handle like you do in these images above. Also, even though i’ve manually rotated an image, every time i load it into the GFui to print, it gets re-orientated the direction I don’t want it to be!

Anyone have insight into this rotation thing?

We have never, at least since I’ve had a Pre-Release, been able to rotate an image. Just vector files. It’s still that way although I believe it is being worked on.

3 Likes

As @rpegg said, can’t rotate in the GFUI a bitmap image. Only a vector. If the bitmap is embedded in a vector file, that object won’t rotate.

As to rotating manually a bitmap image: you have to differentiate an image viewer and an image editor. Sometimes an image view allows rotating an image but it doesn’t actually edit the image. It only rotates for view. Double check that you are actually rotating the image. There are lots of ways to do it permanently. If this is the problem you are talking about.

4 Likes

From the windows 8 right click drop down, rotate right and left are options. I used that. It still came up in GFUI as right side up. I opened the same rotated one in Photoshop cs3, and it was rotated still, so I expected it was permanent.

Had to switch it back right side up, open in Photoshop, rotate it there, save it, and finally it loaded in GFui the way I wanted it to.

3 Likes

are you talking about the orientation bits in the jpg header?

1 Like

That’s because Windows is only adding a rotate tag to the image metadata. It’s not actually rotating the pixels within the image, it’s just adding a tag that tells itself which way to orient the image.

It’s basically like a photo taken with a cell phone. The cell phone knows which way it was turned while taking a photo so it always displays the photo properly, but viewing the image on a computer will sometimes end up rotated, or at least you’ll get a message prompting you to rotate or leave it as is.

6 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for that Understanding :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Here’s a visual example. In this case either rotation is wrong but it’s because this picture was taken with a cell phone and I was likely holding it relatively flat to the point it confused the accelerometers as to which way it should have been oriented.

Anyway, the display orientation is stored within the EXIF data (extended information) for the image and that data can be read and written by cameras and software, independently of how the pixels are actually arranged.

6 Likes