How to engrave a glass bottle on a Glowforge

I use silicon carbide with a simple Harbor Freight air eraser. Aluminum oxide also works well but is “messier” as it creates static and I’m using a homemade “booth” out of an old acrylic fishtank.

7 Likes

Awesome job! I like that they’re all different. (And LOL on the 24 peeps! That’s a lot of weeding!) :smile:

2 Likes

Those came out great! May I ask what vinyl you are using? I’m having mixed results with the vinyls I have been experimenting with.

3 Likes

Very nice!
She asked the right man.

1 Like

I would quite like to see that.

1 Like

you can also with some MINOR modifications use baking soda with the air eraser!

5 Likes

Has anyone tried this? Wondering if it would be a quick substitute for sandblasting.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylon-Ice-Sea-Glass-Enamel-Spray-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-12-oz/1000008496?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA--Paint--SprayPaint-_-1000008496:Krylon&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000008496&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=2786&k_clickID=f117acbc-5199-498d-abc0-5f1e1ea47997&gclid=CjwKEAjwu4_JBRDpgs2RwsCbt1MSJABOY8an7jtjuNyMnjpXNDZ9nA7u6BjkkpIfYz2kRv8xJf2t7xoCe1fw_wcB

8 Likes

I bet it would look great, as long as you aren’t going for a look that includes depth in the piece. Good find!

2 Likes

Nice. That’s going on the ever-growing future project idea list.

It works, but be very careful of puddles, drips, and runs… they totally ruin the effect.
Go easy on the trigger.

2 Likes

Any idea how it holds up? Hand wash only? Don’t soak in water?

totally dependant on the surface it was applied to. Clean glass (no solvents or grease) should be waterproof, but I don’t know that I would trust it in the dishwasher, or under a high-powered pressure washer. I haven’t messed with it enough to tell you how long it will last outdoors with full UV exposure; it is still a paint product that will wear over time.

3 Likes

Thanks,
I’ll have to try it out as a quick option to sandblasting or etching cream. Etching cream sometimes causes me issues when trying to fill large areas.

…and Aluminum Oxide is conductive, bad for your lungs (as is silica) and can be dangerous to electrical things. Of course, I use Aluminum Oxide. :-/

1 Like

Is it? Electrically conductive?

No, it is a good electrical insulator but has relatively high thermal conductivity for a ceramic.

1 Like

@palmercr is correct. What I had read was wrong. Aluminum oxide does create static, but is not itself conductive. There are numerous health hazards with breathing it in (e.g. that sharp stuff cuts up your lungs), but of course silica can cause silicosis, so… wear a mask in any case.

4 Likes

What kind of adhesive paper can we cut with the glowforge? Can we cut regular sign vinyl in the glowforge?

No to the vinyl. It has to be laser safe. (No chlorides.)

Is “regular” vinyl pvc?