Initial GF Basic / Pro Procedure (Network / Account Pairing)?

The ability to set up a print remotely is demonstrated in this video: https://youtu.be/WJqUQ-Uw080

1 Like

Initial configuration was stated in another thread by @dan as the Glowforge arrives as a wireless router you connect to it and give it the details. I suspect very similar to what Google’s chromecasts do.

Why bother using paper? They could just make a phone/tablet-friendly page where you put in your network information, have it display the QR code, and then you put your phone into the Glowforge directly to configure! I had assumed this would be how they would do it but just having it act as a hot spot for initial configuration is probably easier and a more familiar process to people.

Not knowing enough about networking my fallowing thoughts may be flawed… but here is how I think they will do it… Just like a wifi printer. The GF will have a serial number which it will likely send out via wifi signal, and when you down load the GF app you will program your network info into it and then hit connect which would force a handshake… very much like most wifi peripherals do now. I could also be very wrong… shrug But it seems like the simplest solution.

At my house just about everything is smart connected. Including the lighting system. It uses hubs. You connect to a temp Hotspot, then log into the control panel of the hub and configure it’s connection to the Internet. As soon as it connects it closes that hotshot and your phone automatically reconnects to your home wifi. It’s pretty simple. And just imagine. I can control my entire house from anywhere on the planet including the car. Remote start over the Internet no agent required. … how clever

2 Likes

GF broadcasts an access point. You connect to it and it gives you a web page interface so you can get it on your home wifi & connect it to your account.

3 Likes

Thank you for the info, Dan. I’m so hoping this will work with my Karma Go wifi hotspot, but have other options if necessary.

I believe @dan is saying the GF acts as an access point just for initial configuration. Once you connect to it that way, you can then configure it to connect to your Karma Go.

Many other wifi-enabled devices use this technique, and it works really well. In the past year, I’ve installed a number of devices (Google Chromecast, Nest Protect, and Aria scale) this way.

None of them have displays or any sort of input device (sound familiar?). :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, very similar to those devices you mention. Shouldn’t be a problem with the Karma Go.

1 Like

What about device / account pairing? Is it like a RSA key where you insert into portal / plugin? Or a QR code (or the likes?) And can multiple accounts control one unit? Or does the primary owner’s credentials have to be shared with other users?

AFAIK @tony hasn’t finished the multiuser specs yet, so if you have a wishlist of use cases now would be a fine time to share them. (Maybe a new QOTD, tony?)

I don’t remember the process to ‘claim’ your glowforge; tony might help with that too.

1 Like

The only request is to have a primary account with child accounts. i.e. I would register my unit with my account. Then me having the ability to send ‘invites’ to specific folks that I want to share the device with. Mostly so I don’t have to give my email address and password to the folks I’d like to give access to the machine.

Also, Is there a ‘print’ queue visible via the portal/plugin? Or is that something that’s not possible due to the fact it has to take a picture of the bed before it starts the op (for material location?) Or it just sends the raw op in a queue and I’d have to position and start the job? And job history by user?

1 Like

Ok. Sorry if my question may deviate a bit or if it links up.

Question: I am considering to make the glowforge ‘portable’ for example to bring to my local makerfaire held one a year. Will I require stable wifi to show its capability? If yes, what kind of speed should I be looking at in order to feasibly get it to work on site? Similarly I might show it off around local schools and such. As such, if i were to want to conduct say a workshop with one such machine, how will the accounting system work to make this happen?

Hello eternasky, yes you will need a stable wifi connection for the Glowforge to work. I am not sure of the required speed that may be needed for a good experience. Remember that you will need to use a window or other opening to vent the Glowforge outside or use the optional air filter. As for the accounting system, as long as you have an internet connection, browser and an active account with the Glowforge server, you should be able to use your Glowforge.

Good luck!

AppleTv(I’ll assume the new ones are basically the same as the last gen) lets you take your iPhone and bop the AppleTv with it. The phone then just tells the AppleTv whats up with the network settings and you’re good to go. This happens without you having to leave your own network.

Will setting the GF up leave you needing to setup a new Wifi connection on the (insert device of choice), tell the GF one’s actual Wifi settings are, and finally switch your device back to the original Wifi connection?

Use of a filter or a vent to outside will be dependent on the model of Glowforge you have, plus what kind of material you are using. As far as I understand it, not all materials will require venting or filtering.

You might want to consider using a mobile device to create a network.
That way as long as you have cell service you can take it anywhere.

Didn’t see how the guy in Colorado connected to Dan’s Glowforge in the video, but hoping that is something that can be done fairly easily…

My brother is an architect who lives about an hour away from me & loves his 3d printer, so I already know that he’ll want to get his hands on my Glowforge. I could totally see a similar interplay for us as shown in this video—he knows Adobe programs and can totally design whatever he wants, then we just facetime/video chat to coordinate printing it on my machine sometime when I’m around to set the material & push the button for him. Then I can just mail it/pass it along next time we get together.

You don’t actually connect to the Glowforge directly. You connect to a cloud server that then does the calculation and sends the commands to the Glowforge associated with the account. Someone then presses the print button. No direct connection or direct commands involved.

1 Like