Laser Bed Tray(s) and Bed Depth

1/2" material will fit on the tray just fine.

11 Likes

Good to know, that extra .0085 had me worried! :grinning:

6 Likes

This is great! It opens up a lot more choices of items I can slip in there!

3 Likes

I’m not sure what I’m looking at in this photo. The corner of the tray is 1.5" think, but the honeycomb surface seems to be recessed lower than that in the top part of the photo. Shouldn’t we be measuring from the honeycomb surface to the bottom of the area where the tray goes to get a measure of how much space we gain by removing the tray?

2 Likes

Wow, @dan this is huge! I thought I was going to have to find a 1.5" jar in order for it to work!

So we have seen a lot of great engraving on 1/8" and 1/4" material. Would we be able to see engraving on 1/2" thick material set on the bed? I know it should look the same focus wise I would just love to see it if possible.

Thanks Dan, this is really great news!

6 Likes

If you are looking for a flask style jar I did find some that are under 1.5". However based on the new info the Bormioli’s will now fit which is even more exciting… well for me anyway…:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Those are great! That is extra exciting.

1 Like

My understanding of what I am looking at is the left surface is the top of the honeycomb, and the right is the bottom of the foot that would sit on the bottom. :wink:

1 Like

There appears to be a leg projecting on both the right and left sides of the object being measured. I don’t see how either one could be flush with the honeycomb surface.

2 Likes

Do we know for sure that the top of the honeycomb as pictured is the bottom of the focusing range? As I understand it for engraving, you could go all the way to the top of the focusing range, hence 2" (more or less)

AaahhhH!! I was gonna say that I was still confused from just the pic, cause I didn’t know how much space above the tray that left, until I saw this edit of yours:

And additional 1/2 inch?! 2 inches total?! THAT FRICKEN ROCKS!!!

And ok, not to be ungrateful or anything like that…but how did you guys miss explaining that clearly until now? Lol

10 Likes

I’m afraid I remain skeptical. I just don’t see how that claim agrees with what I’m seeing in the photo.

2 Likes

2" equals 5,08 cm which is great news! We may just be able to do some small acrylic bending :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But remember with acrylic bending and de focusing the laser you’re going to need to have even more room to drop it to defocus the laser so not the same as being able to put something in there that height and being able to engrave on it

3 Likes

I’m not following - what are you unsure about? Happy to try and clarify.

3 Likes

Which way are you defocused? You might be able to get away with something even a little higher (assuming there’s mechanical clearance) than the 2" limit, with the laser light still converging. Of course then you couldn’t engrave it once it was bent.

This is great news

I dont believe there is enough clearance upwards…

Yeah you’re right, didn’t think about that :slight_smile:

As I interpret your photo, it appears that the honeycomb support surface is not aligned with either of the caliper arms, something like this:

Which implies to me that the space between the bottom of the tray and the honeycomb surface must be less than 1.5". What am I missing?

3 Likes