Maker Faire NYC (Oct 1st & 2nd)

I am very interested in laser cut stamps, and have not seen a single example of a Glowforged one yet. :cry: I do hope they or a beta user will show us one soon.

3 Likes

@jamesdhatch: curses! I was right there near Karaelena in one of your shots. Missed the chance to meet you.

2 Likes

Very cool meeting @jacobturner and @joe. Here are some shots (samples of the proof grade). I was going to post the result, but as @joe pointed out, it has my address/phone/etc on it… But it looks pretty sharp.

(My son carving his up)

The two of us as it is making his tag… (well actually as the staff is frantically trying to get WiFi working in a building full of wifi devices… They did get it working)

16 Likes

While the engraving of the words looks super crisp and the proof grade wood is really nice (we did walnut and cherry) (and that is apparently medium quality setting) definitely some over engraving on the chevron part (is that what you were talking about @dan at the last demo?). Caused a tiny chip to come off as it is such thin woods with the contact paper removal…

9 Likes

I’ll take some photos of them tomorrow to show ya’ll! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I think that’s the deep score setting. (Not surprised it chipped going that deep.)
Wood glue if you still have the chip.

Cool! :slight_smile:

Many photos of all the goodies purty please! For those of us who must live it vicariously! :grin:

7 Likes

This…

6 Likes

Ten likes! :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

5 Likes

The scientist who I spent the most time talking to was great. We had a wonderful time talking about laser cutting applications, how some of this worked (I never knew that you aren’t engraving anodized coatings but bleaching them) and safety. Super interesting session (you have a bit of time waiting in line, even if you make a beeline for the both when the gates open) and everyone on the booth was nice and knowledgable.

3 Likes

I new we should have had some kind of “I’m a forger too” name tags or something :slightly_smiling_face:

It was my wife’s first Maker Faire and she loved it - wants to make sure we go back next year. She’s even going to volunteer for one of the instructional activities.

Great day - didn’t really rain but stayed cloudy enough to keep it from getting overly hot. Decent crowds but not out of control.

Really nice crowd at the GF space but it looked like a manageable line of folks making their designs.

3 Likes

I stuck through the line for making a nametag at the GF booth, but I chickened out on waiting through the line for the VR 3D art design booth. It looked AWESOME, but there wasn’t any apparent time limit being enforced, and most people were getting VERY into it.

Going early tomorrow to build a drone :slight_smile: Another line I didn’t want to wait through.

3 Likes

No, at Wyndham rego park.

Saw quite a few of the Glowforge staff at the hotel bar last night. I didn’t approach them, as I figured they are off work and would rather relax than have a customer continue to press random questions their way.

Also waited to reveal that they are staying here until tonight, when they are likely already gone, so that others wouldn’t swarm them during off hours.

8 Likes

Thanks so much everyone for sharing your experiences with us who couldn’t attend!

2 Likes

I did attend Maker Faire NYC. Thanks @Bailey for the tickets.Was really happy see the enthusiasm at the Glowforge booth. I didn’t get to make a tag but I saw some familiar faces. Everything looked organized and the prints appeared to be going well. I can’t wait to lay my hands on that machine.

1 Like

By the way for those who didn’t make it, here are just some of @m_raynsford’s amazing designs from his booth “Just Add Sharks”:

38 Likes

Awesome! I hope he plans to design for Glowforge Catalog!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing the pic!

@m_raynsford, very nice! A lot of inspiration there. The effect of the converging rays on the heart is great! The bowls also :sunglasses:

4 Likes

typo, i hope! ROFLMAO!

5 Likes

Hehehe, autocorrect has a mind of its own…

2 Likes