Maker Faire NYC (Oct 1st & 2nd)

Awesome write-up!

I should probably add some pictures too.

We went to the Glowforge booth first thing as well. It was nice putting names to faces! I met @polarbrainfreeze, @takitus, @karaelena, @jacobturner, @henryhbk and a bunch of awesome Glowfolks. (@dan @bailey, you need to make them all join the forums!).

I was in line ahead of @henryhbk and we chatted with one of the staff scientists for awhile! I horrible with names, and it was loud, but I believe his name was @jared. He was a really smart guy! He is right in from of the last video @karaelena posted.

A few things I found out:
Proofgrade material should be available for purchase when the units start shipping :grinning:
Proofgrade currently includes hard woods, plywood, leather, acrylic, and possibly chipboard.
The glowing button does have a very solid, very satisfying click.

Here is a picture of my wife and I while our print is going (thanks for the picture @henryhbk)!

I was going to take a video of the action, until I realize my personal information was on it.

Here are some pictures of the final products. I hastily cropped out our info in paint.

The Glowforge symbol, the house, and the plane were made with the lasered (I think) stamps they had available.

@fan-of-glowforge, this is the best I could do for a picture underneath the tray. It was way to busy to try to get more. Thank you @bailey for letting me take this!

I wish I took more pictures, but I think everyone else captured it very well.

17 Likes

Thank you Joe!
That beautiful woman next to you makes you look a little rough around the edges…:wink:

4 Likes

I looked back and found Dan’s “We have something big!” post, that was the 6th. The PDF templates was the 14th… so I am pretty sure the PDF templates were the big thing.

6 Likes

Ah. Alright then.

1 Like

I thought Will Smith in attendance was cool too!

1 Like

Here is a massive image and video dump from the Maker Faire: https://goo.gl/photos/PeT8o2Q7uMVWF2pPA

Be warned, this is just shots of everything I had interest in personally. Many of the coolest things aren’t pictured, because I was already familiar with them, and there is very little Glowforge in it (Because I am VERY familiar with that). I also attended quite a few talks, so there are pictures of slides on TV screens, because that is how you take notes these days.

The highlight reel:
Gravity Sketch:

You use one of the controllers to define an axis to work around, and the other controller to draw. I could see very easily how to make a snowman and a chair. Didn’t see any indication of measurement tools or any approximation of parametric capacity, so it really is meant for the doodler crowd so far.

Build a drone station:

The wait was 5 hours or so all the time. I did not build one. But I did get a ton of shots of it, and a prolonged video, because I had homework to do, and the assignment was to just observe a social setting for 15-30 minutes and take notes. This was my kind of social.

ReDeTec:

One of the few things I purchased. I already own two different extruders, the first was a very basic model, but in assembly some things had too much tension, so I didn’t care for it. The second had a nifty spooling automation, and was supposed to have a part crusher. But in each case it requires a lot of my time to monitor things, and doesn’t produce reliable filament diameters. So I figured my time was worth more than my money, and stopped using them. But I still kept all of my junk prints. This extruder FINALLY looks like a “Dump and ignore” solution, with a built in part crusher. So hopefully it pans out.

This awesome tool:

I did not ask them where I can buy one. But I seriously want one! It fits a standard hex type tool socket, but the head is a pin-cushion type of surface, which would be able to mold to just about any shape. Press firmly, it sockets in/around, and then you can turn ANYTHING. Well, anything that is not nearly round at least.

Cardboard Pinball:

About a year ago some 9 year old built a full cardboard arcade in his garage and went rather viral. These demonstrate what you can do with more skill and time investment. Though with a laser cutter the “more skill” is debateable.

Rollercoasters:

Another thing very easily accomplished with a laser cutter to assist: Paper roller coasters. Build them wide enough for a matchbox car, and you have something to delight young kids for weeks.

Picture Frames:

Okay, I honestly don’t care about the frames. The amazing thing was the method they used to MAKE the frames. Laser cut foam, then they put standard razor blades standing up in the kerf, and you just lay the paper on top and roll it under some pressure. Paper is now cut to the exact specifications every time.

Free CNC plans:

This CNC looked really capable. A few 3d printed parts, which you could probably substitute laser cut parts for most of them, and then a standard dremel tool.

Bug on Fire:

This was cool… but basically the only large scale art piece at the Faire. Bay Area had so many amazing things whizzing around, and a ton of large scale constructions. While New York mostly just had what the NYSCI already had on display, and this thing (that didn’t move). New York Maker Faire was nice… but if you have to choose a coast to attend, go with Bay Area.

16 Likes

Thank you Jacob!
Love seeing it all.

2 Likes

The socket looks like a Gator Grip.
It is always better to use a high-quality socket of the correct size. Those things kind of work, for some applications, but they cause more problems than they solve… they tend to damage fasteners. I would not use one on any of my vehicles unless I had no other options.

6 Likes

Yeah, beyond being able to see the team and an actual GF, there wasn’t much there I cared about. The whole scan & engrave/cut thing with the camera is nice but it’s not the must-do use case for me so it’s very much a “been there seen that” thing. Nothing really new except maybe resolution which wasn’t being demonstrated in order to keep the times/lines shorter.

The recent beta users aren’t nearly as prolific as @jkopel - maybe he spoiled us :slight_smile:

It’s still just a waiting game. No biggie.

Had a ton of fun at the fair though since I wasn’t focused just on the GF (didn’t see the presentation by Will Smith). Got to meet @m_raynsford and chat a bit. Saw a ton of cool non-laser things to distract me :smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the review of your visit Yves. :+1:

1 Like

@jacobturner, so many children there, what an inspiration for a young imagination! This kind of exposure is invaluable.

I thought Radio Shack dried up and blew away…

That sand table is a wonderful combination of art, robotics, magnetism and Zen!

Wow, thanks for the photos! The one about the picture frames interested me strangely; it sounds like they were making steel rule dies, although I would think razor blades would be too sharp, and how did they do the curves? Would love to have seen that one.

2 Likes

That’s a home-made Cuttlebug, without the expensive cartridges.
(Would have been fun to see.)

1 Like

Exactly! If I could make steel rule dies, that would be something. I already have the Big Shot Pro die cutting machine.

2 Likes

I’ve got one of those too - never used it. (Had a buddy on another forum that was a terrible enabler…she had me buying one of everything as soon as it came out!)

Come to think on it - the guys are just as bad, otherwise I wouldn’t be here. (Chuckle!):smirk:

4 Likes

@printolaser: The sand table is on Kickstarter right now for the coffee table size ones. It is pretty awesome.

I had ALSO thought Radioshack died. But they said the parent company (Tandy?) had died, and before Radio Shack even considered if they had to follow suit, someone else bought the brand. So kind of like the Hostess Twinkie debacle a few years back. The GREAT news is that the new overlords want Radioshack to have more DIY kits and parts like they used to.

@cynd11: Sadly I did not ask them many questions, or even notice the curves. Though it isn’t too hard to bend a standard razor blade.

3 Likes

I’m still left to wonder what the big reveal was . I think Dan had a post along the lines of just wait until nyc we have some really cool things that you have not seen before. I certainly hope it was not the template as that’s the same dog and pony show from well product announced via a sharpie and trace

3 Likes

Thank you all for taking the time to document and post. One observation is that the Glowforge team did not announce anything major. With @dan on assignment elsewhere, I see that as a business as usual statement. I am hoping it all means that the company is razor focused on getting that first shipment out, the software ready and the catalog live. All good vibes to me. I appreciate @karaelena’s point by point expectation list. I agree and endorse. This is it. Hope we can get some more clear demos of what a production unit is capable of. I would welcome some inspiration to keep my prep going.

3 Likes

All the folks posting pics and writeups, thanks for all the info!! Looks like it was a blast.

2 Likes

I was pretty excited about the print-from-template, which we planned to introduce at NY Maker Faire, but then bumped up and showed first in Seattle. I think that was it, but if you link to the post you’re referring to, I’ll tell you for sure. [quote=“joe, post:101, topic:1980”]
The Glowforge symbol, the house, and the plane were made with the lasered (I think) stamps they had available.
[/quote]

Yes, the stamps were made on the Glowforge. :slight_smile:

I can’t tell you how delighted I was that he agreed to do that, or how bummed I was that I couldn’t be there.

8 Likes