Making flair pins and buttons

This video came up in a few of my feeds this morning.

The static instruction page is here.

I really like to see easy ways to avoid buying specialized hardware, especially when the specialization of the hardware leads to repetitive, homogenized products.
Recently, I started playing with a (traditional) button-press that i got off craigslist. It is a lot of fun, and people like buttons (and pins, magnets, keychains, zipper-pulls)… but each different size/shape requires a different die, shells, backers, etc… and they all come out looking the same. That’s great for repeatability, but not so much for originality.

Safety pins are a great start. What other hardware might be incorporated in a similar way to make unique items?

39 Likes

Oh that’s extremely clever with the pin!!

4 Likes

I love it!

At work, we use magnetic name tags for trade show. The button has a metal strip at the back, and on the inside of our shirt there’s a magnet that holds it in place. That could work here as well.

12 Likes

We do too…

Interestingly, the magnet bar (top) has a warning not to wear this if one has a pacemaker. The safety pin might be the, well, safer option…

12 Likes

How 'bout nuts 'n bolts? First layer is just nut-sized cut outs. Second layer is made to fit the shaft of the bolt. Third layer is house numbers or something epoxied to a flat bolt head.

7 Likes

Looking at the instructions for that, btw, it seems as if a laser that could engrave/score to a specific depth could do the safety pin thing in one step. All you need is enough depth to get a glue layer over the back wire and a slight recess for the head. (Yeah, you’d need to be doing 2-sided registration).

4 Likes

:open_mouth: that’s really cool! can’t wait to make one of those!

1 Like

Brian approves and so do I.

15 Likes

Oh, I like the safety pin idea. I plan to make name tags for the local Lions Club when my Glowforge arrives. I have used these things in the past. I had also considered magnets. But I like this idea, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Butterfly-Clutch-Uniform-Insignia-Clutches/dp/B001LQQ20E/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1479173668&sr=8-6&keywords=pin+backer

5 Likes

In the same vein, earrings would work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FINNN1C/ref=s9_zwish_hd_bw_b3Ne1zf_g201_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_r=VV5XJABHT5DQR158VHRD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=6049a81d-0acd-5f9d-a6f0-518ac969e585&pf_rd_i=3097795011

S’pose you could just glue them, though.

5 Likes

Hobby Lobby has these on sale right now…

28 for 1.50) and they have the adhesive. I picked some up and used one on the back of my little ghost. They seem to work well!

10 Likes

Or source from Aliexpress: 50 for $14 inc USA postage.

https://goo.gl/yWc8hd

3 Likes

This is a great little tutorial–I love “use what you have” making.

5 Likes

… I’m blown away by this!!! As a metalsmith, I’m used to soldering pin backs onto the piece. THIS however was just amazing, and clever problem solving. I love it and will add it to my arsenal of design tools :smiley:

4 Likes