My Trip to the Glowforge Booth at Bay Area Maker Faire

Thanks for the Spy Mission Rebecca, nice to see it finally in action. Makes me want December to come so quickly.

4 Likes

Gosh, that was great! So, the software traced your printed design? It did a really good job. And I thought they were not planning to print in high resolution for these demos, but your print looks like high resolution. Is it?

3 Likes

A little context about the logo that @rebecca got engraved. That was from a print out that she made from a PDF I sent her about an hour before she left. That’s pretty impressive that came from a vectored file that was printed (not sure if it was a inkjet or laser printer) to an engraved object. Pretty cool. Pretty cool.

So pumped for Maker Faire NYC.

6 Likes

I printed the logo on a laser printer. :upside_down:

1 Like

Ooooooo, great side shot! It was great to meet you too! :vulcan:

4 Likes

My partner and I were both really impressed as well. The design and build quality are impressive, and it looks very much like a real and actual product (as opposed to a rough prototype cobbled together to keep anxious investors at bay). We also got to meet @dan and several other members of the team, and offered both our thanks and congratulations. The decision to delay must have been gut-wrenching, and we all want our machines yesterday… but they made the tough call to take the time to build a better product. As a future Glowforge owner, I’m grateful for the design decision to take more time to get the power supply exactly right (instead of having a machine that could potentially have serious problems down the road).

We got there early enough this morning to be able to catch the demo on the Make: Live stage, and I was that guy who filmed it with his phone (we have friends who don’t live local who’ve also pre-ordered, plus we figured some of you may also be interested).

The video was shot in 4K, but so far Youtube is only showing it in 360p. Hopefully as it gets time to process the clip you’ll see options to watch in higher resolution.

• Trilo
26 Likes

Ha! It took me a minute to realize why @dan was talking like that, until I saw the little pint sized kiddo! How cool - doesn’t get much simpler than that! Can’t wait to see it tomorrow!

Thanks for recording this - great job!

6 Likes

Sorry. Found your video on youtube and posted it on another topic a couple minutes before you did. Will go back and reference your Glowforge name.

4 Likes

Dan’s a great speaker and presenter, and I think his experience as a dad helped him keep things engaging for Brooke (the little girl) as well as the adults.

No worries, @rpegg!

7 Likes

Do you have a verified YouTube account? Trivial to verify, but you don’t get full resolution or over 15 minutes unless you verify (haven’t tried to watch video yet to see if it is long enough to answer my own question…)

1 Like

Yes I do, it just that as expected… it takes them time to finish processing longer clips. It’s showing at 2160p now.

4 Likes

Awesome. Glad you attended and recorded. I went elsewhere on the assumption there would be a Faire official recording.

4 Likes

I simply cannot thank you all enough for coming. We have a tradition that anyone who’s new to the company gets to go the next Maker Faire. The reason we do that is so everyone can meet you, the people who make what we do possible, and the people we work for every day.

We were all finishing up dinner tonight and I can’t remember how many times Glowfolk said: “Our customers are so amazing it’s almost unbelievable.” We love our product but we worry all the time about whether it’s going to be good enough for you. It makes me happier that I can explain when we hear from you that it is.

23 Likes

It was great meeting you and @rebecca in person! Very cool micro-meetup. :smiley:

3 Likes

It was great to meet you too. Loved your booth. The bird box camera is a great idea! I’ve always wanted to set one up, but haven’t yet gotten to it. Making bird viewing easier is definitely something I support! Very cool. :hatched_chick:

2 Likes

It’s really weird to be at the beach (which is great) and be jealous of where others are.

10 Likes

Thanks a bunch for filming that!

1 Like

Huge thanks to the Glowforge crew - I got to meet a bunch of them at the Maker Faire yesterday, and got the VIP treatment! Even got my Robot Turtles instruction booklet signed by the whole family :slight_smile:

There are some photos of their booth, plus a video of the entire burn run on my demo piece in my Glowforge Album on Google Photos.

P.S. @dan we ran into your lovely wife and kids again later in the day and were talking music with them after The Travelling Spectacular show we watched. Remind her to seek out the band Gogol Bordello to get her fill of gypsy punk music, and we will try out Pink Martini in exchange :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Thanks so much for the photos and video, everybody! It just makes me drool all the more!

4 Likes

Thank you Sir for sharing that!