Open Source / Free modeling software suggestions?

I signed up on Tinkercad but could not log in afterwards. So I tried to sign me on 123D Design and 123D Make, but I was informed that my email address was already registered, despite the fact that I never registered there. Tried to log in with my password, but it was not possible. Are there any others who have experienced the same thing?

That sort of thing seems to happen to me pretty regularly for web sites that I donā€™t frequent very often. I use a password manager and suspect that it (or my confused use of it) bears some of the blame. Iā€™ve learned make use of the ā€œreset passwordā€ links on sites where I have a problem logging in.

I use a password manager too, and that has happened to me a couple times too. I find that some sites donā€™t allow certain characters, but, incredibly, the person who set up the site didnā€™t have the foresight to reject passwords that use those characters.

Iā€™ve occasionally had luck trying the correct password without one or all of the special characters. For instance, if my password was ā€œPas$wordā€, it might be worth trying ā€œPaswordā€. Of course if the nonworking password has several special characters there could be multiple derivations that youā€™d have to try.

TinkerCAD and 123D are both Autodesk products. It is very possible your log-in information was populated across the entire product line. I would do a password reset on TinkerCAD and then once you have created your new password, give 123D a try again.

It worked today, so it was maybe just a delay in the system.
Thank you for the tip though.

I just discovered an open source software called ā€œSolvespaceā€ todaythat seems REALLY COOL. I love parameterized CAD, like Solid Works, but I love the simplicity of Solvespace.

Iā€™ve only just found it, but at first blush it looks pretty interesting. Iā€™m going to look forward playing around with it! Another great part is that it is available for Linux, Mac, and Windows!

3 Likes

Oh yeah, duh, link. Check it out: http://solvespace.com/

3 Likes

Any luck with this? Iā€™m trying to build it for Linux, but run into errors. Iā€™m not a programmer and donā€™t know much of anything about git, so that may be the problem. Iā€™m just following the README.md and searching the internet for the error messages.

Edit: Nevermind. Found a pre-built package for Ubuntu here:

https://launchpad.net/~alex-p/+archive/ubuntu/solvespace

2 Likes

you can also use vectr.

2 Likes