Practice Modeling

You might want to tweak your settings.

12 Likes

Thanks for that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that would be the hope. Probably would have to adjust some stuff to make it hold securely and stand up stably, but maybe not. I could be lucky. Another time when I’d like to learn with the laser here. That’s okay, though. Doin’ the learnin’ I can in the meantime is good enough for me. And, it wastes less materials. Posting it here and getting some responses helps stretch that edjacashun a bit further. Inkscape is easy to draw things up in, but I don’t get the whole 3d aspect or option to try out parametric designs. Trying to figure some of that software out, too. Currently, FreeCAD. I get it sort of, but it doesn’t always behave the way I want it to. Could be because it’s open source and there’s bugs, or it could be I’m doin’ it wrong. Could be that I just need to get enough settings right in Inkscape (thanks again, @dan_berry) and forget about making things more complicated for a while.

3 Likes

Hey, no problemo. I had problems with it as well, which turned me off Inkscape for the longest time. I think little differences in the workflow of what a person gets used to doing can dramatically affect how people might give it a chance.

I’ve come close to just saying to heck with it and buying an Adobe Illustrator subscription many times, because it’s what I used to use about 10 years ago - and I don’t recall “scale stroke widths” as being a default option. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Has this link been posted already?
http://www.gedankensuppe.de/kerf-bending-patterns
I don’t remember - but the space invaders pattern is interesting

5 Likes

If I had a Glowforge, Halloween would be 80% done rather than 10%. Anybody recognize this?

5 Likes

Mahun’s razor?

1 Like

Nope. Not from a video game.

7 Likes

Looks … kinda Klingon.

3 Likes

Eeeek! That could sting!

2 Likes

Is that from Supernatural?

4 Likes

winner winner, demon-killer!

4 Likes

Yup. The Demon Blade. My daughter is dressing up as Dean. Her friend is Sam and I think she’s got another friend that will be Castiel.

Dean:

This one is two layers of EVA foam with a bit of cloths hanger inside to sturdy it up a bit and give me something to attach it to the antler (dog toy) handle I made as well.

11 Likes

Paint’s a little tacky still, but it’ll have to do. Every year I tell myself I’ll start earlier.

15 Likes

REALLY nice work.

2 Likes

I need a foam Bat’leth that looks that good.

3 Likes

That looks real enough to get you shot around here. Great job on it!:relaxed:

5 Likes

Thanks, @bill_laba, @printolaser, and @Jules! Would have been a lot better with a laser, but I’m happy. Symbols would be clearer, shape would be better, and I would have lasered a stencil to put Dean’s protection tatoo on my girl.

Last pics.

Breaking the knife in with some pumpkin carving:

Castiel and Dean. Sam didn’t make it. Jensen Ackles plays Dean, hence their desire for the park sign to be in their picture:

15 Likes

Great job! Although that pic of “breaking in the knife with some pumpkin carving” looks like an interrogation out of a Saw movie. :scream: poor pumpkin…:jack_o_lantern:

4 Likes