Pre-Release Glowforge: delivery, unboxing, setup, first prints! :glowforge:

This is soooo amazing!!! Thanks so much @marmak3261 for taking the time to upload such informative and exciting videos. :grinning:

6 Likes

You should see if dan can hook you up with his plans for the glowforge recording cell phone holder!

3 Likes

Oops, I thought I heard you refer to it by that name in one of the vids. Again, thanks for posting.

1 Like

A beer advent calendar?? That is just freakin’ brilliant.

7 Likes

I’ve been wanting to get the one full of drams of whisky for years now.

5 Likes

Are you allowed to take any screenshot of the UI? Also are you using the web front end or a plug-in?

3 Likes

Yes, that is a great question, are you allowed to video to take pictures of the process from the start, ie. putting the design into the glowforge program. Can you show something from photoshop, illustrator, etc. and how it goes through the process of being printed/cut on the glowforge?

3 Likes

I wanted to add my thanks for investing your time sharing all of this with us. I know it’s part of the deal with the pre-release, but your time is still limited and valuable, so a big thanks to you for it.

8 Likes

Thanks for all the effort to make these videos and document your steps, it’s really great to see the GF in action. Kudos!

5 Likes

@marmak3261 how loud would you say it is. In one of the Tested video one of them (I think Norm) mentioned it’s “as loud as a vacuum” maybe I buy cheap vaccum cleaners but this sounds quiet in comparison. I am amazed at how well we hear you when talking during its operation.

8 Likes

Perfect! I was wondering if that was the vent flange showing in the one photo. Thank you so much…that helps a lot.

4 Likes

You are doing an amazing job of documenting every single step of whatever you do. Thank you so much!

6 Likes

Ooooooh…

• You have templates for rulers.
  • You have a glowforge.
  • You have cardboard.

1. Make a few cardboard rulers.
  2. Place those rulers on the bed, then slide them up snug against the nearest chasis walls.
  3. Cut a square that is the full size of the bed (which would have the end effect of chopping various rulers in two pieces)
  4. We now have PERFECT measurements of the “slack” space on every side of the bed.
13 Likes

What dimensional accuracy can we expect the glow forge to have when shipped? The video shows there is some dimensional accuracy issues of the ruler (shorter than 6 inches). This probably has been answered before, so excuse me for asking again.

1 Like

It should be dead on - there might be a software bug; there’s a slippery one where SVG exports sometimes resizing that we’ve been working on.

8 Likes

[quote=“karaelena, post:196, topic:3621, full:true”]
Are you allowed to take any screenshot of the UI? [/quote]

Indeed, he is.

18 Likes

Is there any limit to what Marion can report about his pre-release experience?

4 Likes

I want a ruler so bad now. Not just any ruler…MY ruler :smile:

5 Likes

Epic.

3 Likes

Yes. Collected all the cardboard this morning. We’ll see about this. I am not so obsessive at the moment about the positioning of things. As you saw when I cut the second ruler. It went where I needed it to go.

I understand how important this dimensional accuracy is for people. The YouTube and the Facebook comments seem to indicate that this is the most important point for many. I am not a metrologist and I got caught without my calipers; however, parallax IS an issue when using an iPhone trying to measure by hand surfaces that are not co-planar. I am working up a post to address this, but I want to make sure that I help the cause rather than obfuscate things at this moment.

Thanks @dan. You have been so generous to me. And a special shout out to @Rita who got me through a PEBGAC. First impressions of the user interface is that it is very minimalistic. It just simply worked with the Founder Ruler design. I used my iPad and had no issues. I will do some tracing tonight and hope to work on an imported vector/raster combo. I’ll use a computer so I have a mouse and bigger screen to work with the fine lines. I have an interesting practical project to bang out. As far as screen shots go: that will happen later when I can give it the time it deserves.

Observation: My mind is just spinning with possibilities. I thought I was pretty prepared for what was possible, but now that I have seen it in action and understand the potential, I have nothing but good to say about the Glowforge. They are shooting for the stars and I am astonished at what will be possible. The delay is again is huge. We’ve gone over it before. But at the moment, I am feeling more secure about my Glowforge investment return in a 18 month period than I am in anything else I’ve ever bet on. And I know I will never lose that money I spent. My economics are mine and not valid for many others. but they are free to choose. I am sure there are other ways that work and other machines that may work better for certain folks in certain situations, but for the average person who walks into my office and sees what is going on, they just simply stop and it’s all “OMG”. And that’s just looking at the ruler.

26 Likes