Pre-Release Glowforge: delivery, unboxing, setup, first prints! :glowforge:

You are doing an amazing job of documenting every single step of whatever you do. Thank you so much!

6 Likes

Ooooooh…

• You have templates for rulers.
  • You have a glowforge.
  • You have cardboard.

1. Make a few cardboard rulers.
  2. Place those rulers on the bed, then slide them up snug against the nearest chasis walls.
  3. Cut a square that is the full size of the bed (which would have the end effect of chopping various rulers in two pieces)
  4. We now have PERFECT measurements of the “slack” space on every side of the bed.
13 Likes

What dimensional accuracy can we expect the glow forge to have when shipped? The video shows there is some dimensional accuracy issues of the ruler (shorter than 6 inches). This probably has been answered before, so excuse me for asking again.

1 Like

It should be dead on - there might be a software bug; there’s a slippery one where SVG exports sometimes resizing that we’ve been working on.

8 Likes

[quote=“karaelena, post:196, topic:3621, full:true”]
Are you allowed to take any screenshot of the UI? [/quote]

Indeed, he is.

18 Likes

Is there any limit to what Marion can report about his pre-release experience?

4 Likes

I want a ruler so bad now. Not just any ruler…MY ruler :smile:

5 Likes

Epic.

3 Likes

Yes. Collected all the cardboard this morning. We’ll see about this. I am not so obsessive at the moment about the positioning of things. As you saw when I cut the second ruler. It went where I needed it to go.

I understand how important this dimensional accuracy is for people. The YouTube and the Facebook comments seem to indicate that this is the most important point for many. I am not a metrologist and I got caught without my calipers; however, parallax IS an issue when using an iPhone trying to measure by hand surfaces that are not co-planar. I am working up a post to address this, but I want to make sure that I help the cause rather than obfuscate things at this moment.

Thanks @dan. You have been so generous to me. And a special shout out to @Rita who got me through a PEBGAC. First impressions of the user interface is that it is very minimalistic. It just simply worked with the Founder Ruler design. I used my iPad and had no issues. I will do some tracing tonight and hope to work on an imported vector/raster combo. I’ll use a computer so I have a mouse and bigger screen to work with the fine lines. I have an interesting practical project to bang out. As far as screen shots go: that will happen later when I can give it the time it deserves.

Observation: My mind is just spinning with possibilities. I thought I was pretty prepared for what was possible, but now that I have seen it in action and understand the potential, I have nothing but good to say about the Glowforge. They are shooting for the stars and I am astonished at what will be possible. The delay is again is huge. We’ve gone over it before. But at the moment, I am feeling more secure about my Glowforge investment return in a 18 month period than I am in anything else I’ve ever bet on. And I know I will never lose that money I spent. My economics are mine and not valid for many others. but they are free to choose. I am sure there are other ways that work and other machines that may work better for certain folks in certain situations, but for the average person who walks into my office and sees what is going on, they just simply stop and it’s all “OMG”. And that’s just looking at the ruler.

26 Likes

Problem Exists Between Glowforge And Cloud?

4 Likes

Chair. That is to say, he screwed up. :wink:

1 Like

No, not at all!!! Problem exists between Glowforge and chair. Normal usage except for :glowforge: I was the problem because I can’t read (or sometimes skip it all together. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

12 Likes

Okay, I have to remove my mind from whatever gutter it appears to have fallen into.

I saw that and wondered “why does he need cardboard rulers to find the distance between his bed and the walls? Is he & his partner (edited to be inclusive here) so vigorous they move the bed and bump into the walls?” and then I realized it was the bed of the GF you were trying to measure against.

My mother would be appalled at what I was thinking :blush:

6 Likes

Ha! I thought the same thing. But you know, promises made at ordination and all that so it’s only the cat!:innocent:

5 Likes

Great video!

Did you noticed the ventilation effect is more effective in bottom side than in front side of the bean point?

On the horizontal running of the cut this is very clear.
And on the vertical cut front to bottom there is not sign of burning.

Thanks!

So… Have you cut/make anything else?

Can you take screen shots from the import process to cutting?

Whoa! Where’d you get that? Did New Glarus open up their sales beyond WI borders? (native cheesehead here so that GF isn’t the only thing making me jealous)

I totally missed out on the Wisconsin / New Glarus lovefest.

Was at work all day. Just got home. Had some interaction with forum and spent time rounding materials I had stashed at work. Went to Joann after nursing home visit and got a few things. I’ll document and do video as I can. Getting some help tomorrow. I spent about an hour getting all my svg and png files rounded up. I’m going to have to start using a cloud service for files. I have a google cloud services server running a library ILS that I can use, but don’t want to cross boundaries. Right now getting some tea and relaxing for a bit. My head is a bit tight at the moment. After all, only about 16 hours of sleep since Monday!

And proof I live alone:

33 Likes

You have got to start training that cat!
We keep trying to get ours to make coffee, it is slow going but we are eternally hopeful.

Enjoy your new distraction!

17 Likes

He’d have better luck with a dog!

2 Likes