Product Updates?

The EEVblog guy on YouTube recently did a video on the economics of selling hardware that was interesting:

He suggest pricing at 2.5x the cost of goods and draws some interesting conclusions about what happens to profit margin when distributors are brought into the picture.

3 Likes

Iā€™d say look at Cricut or Silhouette. Making the Glowforge work out of the box will tap into markets like that for folks who never would have dreamed of getting a laser. Granted, the price point cuts the potential for customers, but still there is surely a good market for a Glowforge. They havenā€™t even begun the hard sell. Once the true shakedown of 10,000 beta users is in the bag, then theyā€™ll be ready to gear up for real marketing and production. At least, thatā€™s how I see it from totally no experience in manufacturing and marketing.

2 Likes

This thread really has really gone a different direction than what I had planned. Itā€™s been 2 months since the last update. Itā€™d be great is @dan could toss another one out there. I (and Iā€™m sure other backers) would like to know if progress has been made since the delay.

2 Likes

I would expect an early target market will be schools. Lots of those who will likely add one or more to their farm of 3D printersā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve been talking to the 11-year-oldā€™s school, and if/when my GF arrives, and if it does what we hope they will likely be looking to buy one. Theyā€™d probably put a few hours a day on it.

3 Likes