QOTD from Glowforge: Will you accept our 24 Hour Glowforge Challenge?

acrylic signs that light up for gifts
sisters artwork printed onto wood for hanging
cat stairs for the one who has bad hips now - yeah I love my cats
doing the leather patches to get that job locked up for next season’s rodeo to pay off the forge
making “cheap” stuff from garage sales etc look cool and pricey

Done!

6 Likes

Taking advantage of the draft saving on the forum to compile my list here.

• Just made some plaques to give to speakers at a conference on campus. Would have used Glowforge instead of my laser
  • Wooden puzzle as present for keynote speaker at said conference
  • Need to engrave my name and contact information on my iPad case so I get it back next time I leave the thing in an airplane.
  • Want to make a closet organizer for the kids’ playroom
  • Want to make drawer dividers to organize our bathroom drawer
  • Kid furniture
  • Outdoor building planks, like the KEVA planks or ImagiPlanks
  • Labels for lab tables so students know which one they are assigned to each week
  • Custom mini-cabinets for organizing materials at lab tables
  • Custom cut foam to indicate “A place for every tool” in large demo room, maybe professors can finally put things away properly…
  • Footrest for at my desk
  • Enclosure for my other laser, which at this point still has none
  • Tool hanger/organizer station
  • Custom cutting board inserts which will fit snuggly in the sink of our camper trailer to provide counter space when sink not needed
  • Door stops
  • Ramp/inclined plane for a physics lab where we roll marbles from various heights to have consistent velocity and direction launching projectiles off the table
  • Edge Lit acrylic signage for identification of various zones in workshop
  • Edge Lit acrylic signage for inter-school communication system (bus has arrived, gym available for use, etc)
  • Back to School teacher gifts
  • Chore charts for my boys
  • Dishes clean/dirty signage for dishwasher
  • Zoetrope
  • Haloween Costume (and general Cosplay)
  • Computer monitor covers (have an all-in-one that I leave on all night as security camera. But want lights from desktop to not illuminate the room)
  • Drone body
  • New frames for family photos
  • Remote control holder
12 Likes

What excites me most?

• to reawaken my dormant artistic self exploring techniques and materials new to me with laser precision!
  • Custom event/holiday oriented laser cut greeting cards in my own hand drawn artwork!
  • tool racks/storage solutions for kitchen/shop/garage.
  • Custom Christmas/birthday gifts.
  • since it has always been fiction in my life, simply owning a frickin laser!
5 Likes

I got in the survey and just went nuts. Can’t remember what I picked as my top 5 so here is some of the first hours of the 24 that got jotted down.

• Key holder
• Journal cover
• Knife pouch
• Headphone stand
• Tool storage
• ID card holder
• Light switch cover
• Tools
• Wallet
• Knife sheath
• Knife scales
• Art on my knife sharpeners
• Art on most anything
• Nice storage boxes
• Measuring tools using acrylic
6 Likes

Toilet paper roll garage to sit on top of tank.
Medicine pill holder.
Toothpaste squeezer
Salt cellar
Cutting board engraving
Tableware organizer trays
Key holder
Key fob
Wallet
IPhone holder for mini tripod
IPad stand
Bookmarks
Desk drawer organizer trays
Chalice case
Book stand
Book ends
Personalized picture frame
Tissue box
Ok this got me to noon. Will edit after the rest of the day.

5 Likes

I filled out the survey but want to edit it so I’ll do it here… Instead of just an iPhone holder for my desk at work I’d like to do a full personalized matching executive desk set made out of multiple materials that says I have a laser and know how to use it. Laptop and monitor stands, leather mousepad, and an iPhone, post it and pen holder.

4 Likes

organizers, lights, storage boxes, decorative items, bas relief sculpting

Those are the broad categories - I’ve got a wad of ideas lined up for each.

How feasible they are going to be to implement remains to be seen, but I’ve started designing a few to have on hand.

(Wonder how hard it would be to knock out a few canopic jars?) Chuckle! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m so inspired by all of the replies above!

Hey all - I’m Marlo - and I recently joined Glowforge on Tony’s team. I just took the challenge and my top five are:

• Frames (of all shapes and sizes!)- making a wall of family photos at home
  • Welcome signs (likely based off the seasons) to hang on the inside of our glass front door
  • An art piece for my friend who just had a baby based off a trace of her son’s hand and foot
  • A thin leather pouch for my Kindle
  • Organizers galore - starting with a box that fits perfectly under the chair near the door for shoes!
14 Likes

Hello new staff!

2 Likes

Frames could be interesting. I do a lot of printing and framing and have thought about this. I think the possibilities for a custom framer would be awesome in cutting out (for details or “flair” - not images) or engraving mat board. You guys figure out a 45 degree cut and we have an awesome mat cutter as well! :wink:

3 Likes

Word of advice: don’t use the elevator if @dan is using it. :wink:

3 Likes

Greetings Marlo! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Top 5:

• Clocks (I love clockwork)
  • Robots (little ones, most of which will roam around on my desk at work and big ones now that I’ve seen some of the cool things that delrin can do)
  • Prosthetics
  • Kinetic Sculture
  • Cosplay Props
5 Likes

They’ve moved into a new office space on the first floor…didnt use an elevator while I was there…:grinning:

7 Likes

Did they ever actually move? They were originally on a first floor, and the elevator incident was them looking at new office spaces for a move. But I never did hear if the company actually relocated…

Not sure the timeline, but if you google the Company, it points to a different address which is more storage…I assumed that it was the first location… IDK I just know I wasn’t getting into no elevator…lol

4 Likes

My list is not top projects; its today’s projects. Sloppy and copied straight out of my notes.

Laser 24 hours

• Burned my finger on toaster oven, so a hook for that
  • My daughter was a special guest at local high-end theater and we got a backstage tour. I am certain their prop shop and their costume shop each need a GlowForge.
  • My husband brought home server hard drive blanks with dividers built in that he wants to use as drawers for organizing screws, cables, and components. They need a cabinet and possibly lids.
  • Boy started kindergarten- first homework is a paper doll of himself. Hello GlowForge. They always have fabric shirts, pants, hair, etc. We could make it so cool.
  • Sisters and I donate a tree each year to the Festival of Trees benefiting local children’s hospital. We were hoping for the GlowForge early enough to make some of the decor this year. We ramp up preparations when school starts… So today.
  • Motivational signs- engraved rather than vinyl. Custom to my goals and family values.
  • Lego organizer
  • Husband wants shelving in his server rack for his lab components.
  • Labeling all his cables, cords, connectors, ports…
  • Box: Our snap circuit extreme kit came in a flimsy cardboard box. Just got it- we have played with it once and clearly the box will not withstand enough sessions to get through 300 experiments and demos.
  • Raspberry pi case.
  • Planning a big cancer awareness fundraiser walk. Signage, favors, and making items for the silent auction- leaps to mind.
  • @smcgathyfay already does body paint stencils… Something I expected to do for this event before I ever joined the forums. Not at Stephanie’s level, obviously.
  • Today I am putting grout into freshly laid tiles. I don’t know what I might have engraved; but that I could might have made me add some elements.
10 Likes

A hook for the burnt finger?

:stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

9 Likes

its terrifying that, that^^ is even a thing.
ugh…

4 Likes

I think thats more for dislocated fingers maybe? IDK…looks a bit painfull with that weight on there…:scream: Where do you find this stuff @jacobturner…students must be scared of you…lmao :wink:

4 Likes