Schedule update (December '16)

And if it is whacky, then its an indication that its not ready for prime time. Its not about making people feel jittery, its about making people feel confident. Put whatever disclaimers necessary - that is not the intent. The intent is to build people’s confidence. I take it you are ok with a go/no on shipping for a 4th time in a row. Thats ok. A lot of people are not satisfied with that approach.

I just liked it because it was coherent, well written and told a story.

I don’t know about being “okay” with having to wait longer. That might not be exactly my feelings.

I might also disagree with you on saying this is the 4th delay, but that really doesn’t have a lot to do with things not being as simple as we might like them to be. While new videos might instill some short term confidence in you, me, and 100 other people without causing us to think (more) badly of the company it may have long-term effects that are less than desirable.

Besides, that was just an example. I do not know all of the details that make things complicated. I’m just saying it’s not as simple as thoughtlessly pulling out a cell phone. Maybe some things can be that simple and hopefully that is what Dan and company will take out of the feedback that they’re getting on the forum. I just think often they are not.

4 Likes

There is a very small but not zero possibility that the laser beam could reflect through the open pass thru door. Your eye or the eye of others would have to be in the wrong position at the wrong time. Kids are about the right height. I’m not sure but I believe there to be a flap over the pass thru slot when it is not in use. If so, the GF Pro would be completely sealed from laser light leaks. I have laser glasses and will choose when to use them. Some communities have regulations as to the use of Class IV lasers (mostly for businesses) You will have to research that for your location. OSHA used to have rules but I believe they are no longer involved. Federal sites, Universities and some other public institutions have their own rules. You can try these glasses or others with similar specifications at 10,600nm. http://www.lasersafetyindustries.com/Laser_safety_Glasses_for_CO2_Laser_10_600_nm_s/20.htm

3 Likes

As a 40W unfocused beam instantly burns through paper instantly I think it will more than just hurt. 40W on an area about 5mm diameter is still a relatively high power density. An electrical component that size would get very hot with just 1W.

1 Like

IMHO weather can be predicted much more solidly than the delivery date of a Glowforge… First, just “Were Sorry”, then “Power Supplies” Dan said everything else was working just fine, guess that wasn’t true either, now this? … Anyone remember Jeffry Skiling? Goodbye, Cancelled -> yesterday and still no email or anything that my money is on its way… so much for that “Great” communication, hope my money arrives soon so I can buy something that is worth my time…

About 350 degrees, My soldering iron’s tip is about 5mm (its 3,2 mm) - that’s why I used it as an example.

Yes but the power isn’t concentrated at the surface of the tip. It is over a cylinder about 60mm long and 7mm diameter. That has an area about 70 times greater.

That is my point. Pump 40W (actually only 25W for an old uncontrolled iron) into something that size and it all heats to 370C. Pump it into something 70 times smaller and it will heat to 25900C.

1 Like

It really doesn’t matter what’s true. There are safety requirements for Class IV laser use. They are what they are. Not sure what the penalty is for violating them. Up to you if you feel like obeying them or not. I know there are signage requirements, for example. If you use this in your business, garage, whatever without it I’d bet you could run into problems if somebody finds out.

• Tom
2 Likes

Cause you know- Everyone is an expert on the internet.

7 Likes

This captures my POV on the whole saga perfectly, thank you @david3.

I would LOVE more communication from Glowforge and @Dan and @staff but they do not OWE us that.
It might make their position easier, it might mean less people threatening or actually withdrawing their Orders… but that is THEIR choice.
Would i do it differently… yes.
Am i running Glowforge… no.
What i think, what we all think on this matter is irrelevant.

We signed up
We accepted the Terms and Conditions
We have the choice available to leave at any time.

Emotional pleas, getting upset at others who accept the status-quo or quasi-legal demands/rants are pointless

16 Likes

I don’t know that much about the internet. It is that bunch of tubes? :slight_smile:

I recommend folks do their own due diligence regarding what safety protocols they feel are necessary to protect themselves. Guidelines and regulations do exist. Base your decisions off of those and understand the power of what you’re actually working with.

CO2 laser at 8, 16, 24, 32, and 40W - 30" from wood:

40W CO2 laser burns stuff:

70W laser at 6ft:

40W laser igniting guncotton at 15ft: (yes, I know how flammable it is)

5 Likes

Ehm. But please don’t do what the video’s show…
That’s some disregard for safety there… :wink:

But I guess it DOES show the relative safety of CO2 lasers. Try doing that with an equal powered green or red laser. :scream:

Fact is, as it’s been stated, there will be pages and pages and pages of safety information included with your Glowforge. Follow them and you’ll be assured to be reasonably safe. Don’t follow them at own peril. The information will be yours to do with as you see fit. ENJOY! And Happy Lasering to one and all!

• Tom
1 Like

I use lasers at work and at home. At this point, there is nothing you can say that would convince me that you are an engineer. Yes, there are differences in how different wavelength lasers do their damage but your advice is completely irresponsible.

4 Likes

Yes that doctor does have special interest in lasers, uses lasers in his practice (as well as 3D printing - some very cool stuff, btw) and certainly knows more than someone translating his “year long ownership” of lasers.

I too am an engineer. I am also a multi-year, multi-laser owner/operator. I also teach laser operations and design for lasers. Frankly i don’t care if that makes my willy bigger than yours in this BSD competition you seem to think is in play.

What I do care about is that you are passing off as some kind of dark secret that the mainstream practitioners of laser operations and safety don’t want us to know. That’s utter crap. Unfortunately if it were only you who were affected I’d simply be content until Darwinism prevailed. The problem is this is a tool being marketed to novices who won’t have the experience or knowledge to know when they’re being misled by an “expert” in his own mind.

I’d have flagged your post because it’s dangerous. I didn’t because it called out for education. Perfectly happy for you to do whatever you want, just don’t advocate that others do as you do.

Unless you’re able to provide more valid credentials and backup science than your “year” of experience I’m going to suggest continued posts of that sort be flagged and removed so no one gets hurt following your “expert” advice.

If someone follows normal safety reccommendations and you turn out to be correct they’ve simply wasted $50 on a pair of glasses. If you’re wrong (& the industry says you are) but they follow your advice there is a non-zero potential that they get badly hurt. That is dangerous.

I’ll not defer to your advanced “expertise” with your whole year’s worth of experience but I will ignore it going forward and encourage everyone else to weigh the industry of professionals on one side and a year long user with no credentials on the other.

Hope you have a sparkling day with however many eyes you have left. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

I’m going to strongly suggest that everyone follow the safety instructions that will come with your Glowforge.

If you choose not to do so, you are responsible for what happens, or doesn’t happen, to you, or your children, or your pets.

This is not a toy. Experiment with it at your own risk.

12 Likes

Just a reminder, the Pro is considered a Class IV laser. Make sure you follow the proper precautions and regulations for your area.

For those in the USA, here is a good list of relevant information, state by state.
https://www.rli.com/resources/statecontacts.aspx

Edit: Not sure if this is a full list. Please do your due diligence.

6 Likes