Schedule update (December '16)

This is not good for anyone, this is more delays than any product that even decided to finally produce. I’m not surprised at all that people are thinking this is a scam. And I’m not saying a scam that your just going to take our money and run but using your believing customers to capitalize on. Think about it. If I still had my money in my account i.e. Saving with any type of interest rate growth I would be benefiting. But glowforge has collected millions of dollars of our money in hopes that promises are kept. Now your millions of dollars has made interest. Something most people don’t think about. Even if you were to refund everyone their money by now you would have make a nice chunk of change just on the interest. Sometimes sorry doesn’t cut it. I’m sure many other glowforge owners are going to disagree and maybe a few will not. Again. Very disappointing. One would even say horrible business practice. And yes, drawing interest off others with out delievery is considered a scam!

4 Likes

Ever seen more than one or two in one place at a time? Do any more than the prototypes exist. Is there any proof any work has been done since it was first shown to ars and the like.

1 Like

I think I signed up for a beta eons ago. Any way to check we are still on the list?

2 Likes

I would tend to believe a direct representative from the manufacturing partner.

Mike Dennison, president of the Consumer Technologies Group at Flex said, “We are delighted to have been selected by the Glowforge team and are thrilled to provide innovative supply chain and manufacturing solutions for their iconic 3D laser printer.”

(Non-forum source: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161123005687/en/Glowforge-Begins-Shipping-Pre-Release-3D-Laser-Printers)

I understand being pissed and I can’t remedy that for you but I fail to see where threats and phrases such as “shut up”, “screw you”, etc. are going to accomplish much. Perhaps they will put together another laser Thursday with invitations and you can see for yourself, being that you’re a local.

12 Likes

Cancelled. And I better get my money back. I’m a Seattle local.

3 Likes

The detachable laser module has me very concerned. When was this feature introduced? I would expect that would have been a selling point if it was within the original scope of the project. Is this just simply feature creep… or are you parlaying the bet of us initial buyers to try to create a even larger product that will have more market appeal?

Can you answer some basic questions?

Do you have all the material on hand at this point to manufacture the pre October 25, 2015 units?

At this point I would believe you are experiencing EOL (end of life issues) as the market for electronics is very fast pace. Are you?

What issues are you trending with the units that were in the “defect queue” awaiting troubleshooting?

Can you provide a PRD (product requirements document) so that we are sure there is no further feature creep or market expansion?

Have you passed safety and regulatory requirements (i.e. UL and FCC requirements)?

What open issues are you currently tracking that needs to be resolved?

16 Likes

To apply for beta:

13 Likes

It is disappointing news and it’s going to be hard for folk to maintain the belief that their GF is going to be the best 3D laser printer a laser printer/cutter/engraver can be. (Think I may have pinched one of Dan’s lines there)

Am I surprised? Well no, not really, I have never worked on a project that was completed and signed off on the scheduled date. At one point in my career I lectured in Information Systems to postgraduate students in the Business School of a well-respected university, when it came to project management and timelines my standard advice was “think of the longest time it is going to take then double it. Just to be sure add another 50%”. I delivered the advice with a straight face and earnest demeanour but there was a bit of "tongue-in-cheek’ there too. Funny thing … many projects take that, and more, to come online. I see no reason to believe that the GlowForge project is any different, despite everybody’s good intentions.

Hang tough.

15 Likes

Sorry, but we’ve heard the “I’m so sorry”, “We’ve let you down” and “we want to ship the perfect product” so often it starts to ring hollow.

12 Likes

Wow. This is disappointing. You guys are so close, too, going by the photos and videos of the pre-production units.

The delay sucks, but I’m still excited to get my hands on one in a few months. The extra free stuff is always nice, but I’ll be hoping for an earlier delivery and fewer of the $20 bonuses.

I can’t say I’m all that surprised, given how recently the first preproduction unit shipped. I was sort of expecting an announcement like this. :frowning: On the other hand, it’s clear that you do have something that’s mostly working. I’m hoping to see a lot more posts from people with preproduction units in the next few weeks. The jealousy can be difficult to deal with, but it’s good to see what other people are doing with theirs.

21 Likes

would love to have it sooner, but I can wait and hope that I spend my summer holidays glowforging.

15 Likes

If even one exists then I’m confident many exist, simply because once you have a working product it’s a hell of a lot easier to build more (even if you had to do it painstakingly by hand) than it is to fabricate a whole bunch of beta users and ask Tested to risk their reputation demoing something that doesn’t exist.

Or to put it another way, creating the Glowforge in the first place was the hard part - once you’ve succeeded in proving it can be done, scaling up is vastly less risky. Manufacturing is hard and takes time and money up front, but it’s a relatively well understood process that is unlikely to sink a company taking their time to tick all the appropriate boxes along the way.

I was worried Glowforge would simply fail to create the product they had advertised, but now that they have, I’m not worried they will fail to manufacture them. It’s unfortunate that there are delays, and it’s understandable to get angry, but I’m not worried about whether we will get our units

22 Likes

I am very disappointed because I am working on two family weddings and had promised them that I would be making them table decorations and favors so this makes me so sad.

Dan, would you consider putting units in maker spaces or other places where we could book time on a Glowforge? I recognize that this might not be the most thought out idea logistically, but I would love to be able to experience one in person and maybe at least make a cake topper or two.

This would allow people an opportunity to get a little jump start, maybe do a simple project or two, and help keep us patient as we wait for our units.

Thank you for your consideration of this request or maybe a variation of it.

6 Likes

How is offering you your money back a hard sell? We are all disappointed but there is no cause to be rude.

There is a link for applying for your refund in the email you received.

18 Likes

Good news everone! We’ve all seen the specs and are thinking of what we can do. But really, if there’s no quality, no specs in the world matters. You would be even angrier if you had to send it in for service every second month.

19 Likes

And this is where I get off this ride. This has been a colossal disaster. I could care less what Adam Savage says, don’t care about the videos, or the rest of the ‘perks’ for selling us on a product that never really existed. Thanks for wasting my time, order cancellation being sent in ASAP.

• Erick
5 Likes

Updated: 12/2/16 Detailed list of concerns
Updated: 12/4/16 Dan responds, no decisions made.

I am going to repost this from the other topic as it doesn’t appear @dan is responding there.

Dan,

I really can’t help but feel a sense of betrayal by this latest announcement. I backed Glowforge within a couple days of the public announcement when the site said shipping starting December 2015. It’s pretty obvious in hindsight there was zero chance you were making that goal. Not the most ethical way of selling a product, but shipping delays are expected to some extent when crowdfunding new companies.

You have made up for that by being very accessible and open with the community and your cancellation policy made me keep my order. I became an evangelist for Glowforge on my personal and professional social media where I have over 121k followers. I argued for you and your company and I convinced people to buy Glowforges and many others to visit.

When you delayed the second time I was concerned, when you delayed the 3rd time I was disappointed. But you said my Glowforge would get here for Christmas and I gave you and the project another break and waited. The depth of your concern for the quality of the device was reassuring. Glowforge was going to be a serious tool that was high quality. But after 17 months, it just doesn’t cut it.

I am not going to threaten to cancel or anything dramatic because I don’t know what I am going to do yet. But my faith and confidence in you and the Glowforge company is gone… completely.

At this point my question is why should I trust you and your company? You have blatantly deceived us about the shipping date originally and perhaps in subsequent updates?

Harsh question, but one I think we deserve an answer to at this point.

Update 1:
I am going to edit this since there was a ton of responses from @Dan over the last night. This post is updated as of 3:17PM PST on 12/2/16. I encourage @dan an to add his responses directly below each item in this post so people don’t need to wade through 268 messages (at the moment) for answers.

Topics and responses, reduced to major points for brevity: (This will seem harsh, but it’s not sunshine and roses right now). I am a customer since August 2015 with $4270 paid for a Pro with Filter.

1. @Dan has admitted he failed us, is sorry and feels terrible. I am sure he does, but he has repeatedly ignored requests for accountability from many of the 268 posts now in this thread. What is accountability potentially look like?

2. Accountability is rebuilding trust with the community through open lines of communication and managing our expectations better.

3. Changing the way @Glowforge communicates with the community, by doing more than once a month updates. @Dan likes to say the team is too busy to give updates, but the reality is he has $32,270,000 in capital, not including the money we paid for our Glowforges. He can afford to hire a full time person to focus on this role and it would not be a significant drain on the team.

4. @Dan continues to refuse to provide a detailed roadmap with targets and milestones to reach the launch date. Communicate if you have a setback and how that changes the launch date.

5. @Dan and @Glowforge have knowingly misrepresented and withheld information to the customers concerning the status of the launch and the Glowforge.

6. @Dan has consistently used responses to forum posts that dismiss or mislead the customers.

7. @Dan has acknowledged he has failed to properly manage the Glowforge team and its development process. With over $32M in funding on top of the pre-order money @dan should have had access to any expert he needed, especially considering his partners. @dan will only say that the team is working 100% on making the next date and implies we should trust him, because he means it this time. For many, including myself this answer isn’t good enough and @dan needs to share specific plans for how he intends to fix the problem with Glowforge and deliver the product.

8. @Dan uses the full refund in a passive aggressive or dismissive way to deflect legitimate concerns from the customers.

9. Overseas customers have paid over $8,000 in some reports due to international shipping, but if refunded would not receive a complete refund due to changes in the currency values.

10. @Dan has offered a bonuses to people who have ordered as an apology. Most overseas customers can’t use the bonus because of shipping and customs costs.

11. The actual cost to Glowforge for proof grade materials for this is minimal and is a loss leader to get people to try the proof grade materials and continue to buy them. (Speculation)

12. The free items from the catalog are owned by Glowforge (except the Catan tiles) and represent a zero cost to Glowforge. (Speculation)

13. The instructables bonus is not usable by international customers and could represent a income stream for Glowforge if they have an affiliate relationship and will see revenue for new users who sign up for Instructables. (Speculation)

14. @Dan responded to complaints that customers had lost the interest on the money the paid. @Dan claims that they have made $22 per person in interest. This seems like a small number, until you look at the numbers if @glowforge made 10% (2016 median bond rate) they have made a profit of $2,922,331.76 on the first 30 day purchases. (Speculation)

At the end of the day what it comes down to is @Dan abused the trust of the customers. It’s easy to say you are sorry and be contrite. Dan needs to prove through immediate action how he will rebuild the communities trust.

Is ridiculous and @dan can do a hell of a lot more than to rebuild the faith and trust the community has given @Dan and @Glowforge by trusting them with $45,000,000 in sales as of the last public report.

I really hope that @Dan will respond to this updated thread.

UPDATE 2: 12/4/16
12/4/2016 3:51AM: Update from @dan

My extremely lengthy response is here: Schedule update (December '16) - #441 by scottmillersb

I really suggest you read the response from @Glowbabe. She is much more funny and eloquent than I can ever hope to be. Well said!

21 Likes

Yall are crazy if you literally think this is a scam, like there are two glow forges in the whole world being dangled in front of us all as an elaborate hoax.

Glowforge is a startup company making the least expensive/easiest to user laser cutter ever tried. If you don’t understand the complexities of that concept, you’re too ignorant to take seriously. They are just a small company that bit off way more than they can chew. This latest update sounds like they are finally at the point they said they were at a year ago. So hopefully this next deadline is the winner, with real progress that can be communicated on a regular basis, instead of a couple of updates during the final days before deadline. :smile:

26 Likes

Well why not? Why is it so impossible?

I just thought I would toss in my 2 cents really quick :slight_smile:

I know that I want a great product, and all the little finishing touches I’ve seen them put into the pre-release units make me even more excited for the day to day projects I can make years after I receive it :smiley:

I would like to ask one thing that personally is very important to me: if I’m going to be staying strong with this product, I would very strongly like to request the option to upgrade my purchased GlowForge at the rates that were available when I placed my initial investment :slight_smile:

After seeing what can be done with the GlowForge with its normal sizing and such, the possibilities for that pass through slot of the pro version sound amazing! But I simply cannot afford the roughly $2000 price increase that is currently available for me.

I put money down for the basic with air filter, and I think it would have been $500 or $1000 more for the pro at that point. I could handle that at this point, but couldn’t think to spend as much as it initially cost me just for the upgrade >~<

I hope this request isn’t seen as too unreasonable, and that there may even be many others that would like the option to invest more at their originally available price difference :slight_smile:

16 Likes