Show and Tell

I’m a chocoholic plebian I guess. Just like there are absolutely great pizzas and absolutely awful ones, the bulk are perfectly reasonable to satisfy a pizza craving. Same for chocolate. I prefer block dark chocolate when I’m going to eat “chocolate”. But if I’m eating candy, then most any mass market chocolate suffices (until you get to the real awful dreck that is most often chocolate “flavor” because there’s not enough to pass legal muster).

I’m a fan of chocolate bars with caramel and/or nuts. Hershey’s makes several I like. I also still like m&ms both plain & peanut. But they’re all candy not chocolate as the predominant factor.

I’m the same with wine. I appreciate a $200 bottle but that doesn’t deter me from drinking $40 bottles or even a $10 table wine. It’s all different and all has a place in my diet :slightly_smiling_face:

Now vegetables are another thing altogether. :grinning:

12 Likes

agreed. I refuse to eat veggies that are less than 20% chocolate

17 Likes

This is true. I certainly enjoy a Totino’s frozen pizza more than I probably should. :slight_smile:

However, there are options out there for higher end candy bars that, while relatively expensive, are far better.

The Snacker and The King from http://www.liddabitsweets.com/ are both excellent. The Snacker is basically a $10 Snickers bar, but holy crap is it good. I rarely get Liddabit because its expensive but when I do get one I’m always happy about it. They have an amazing cookbook that I highly, highly recommend.

I used to buy a candy bar most any time I went through a checkout line, and I LOVE trying new things, so even still I’ll probably grab any new candy bar that I see. But as I get older I find that I don’t want the candy just for the sake of sweet, but I want to truly taste each part of it. If it includes chocolate, then it has to be good chocolate.

I suppose I’ve gotten to the point, like a wine connoisseur, where the cheap stuff no longer interests me.

5 Likes

This kind, which you can find at Whole Foods for about $4 for 2 bars, is an enjoyable eating experience. It comes in a couple different levels of darkness/sweetness and has a lot more depth of flavor than a Hershey bar.

In conversations like this, I always think of imitation vanilla vs. vanilla extract. Imitation vanilla is a byproduct of paper making and it’s flavor comes from one compound, vanillin. Vanilla extract is made up of a couple of hundred different compounds that contribute to it’s flavor.

I like added complexity and details in my life. Real vanilla extract it is.

11 Likes

I have a bar of this in my pantry! Its not bad. Yes, real vanilla every time!

3 Likes

While I was in Iceland a few months ago, I came across several different Icelandic chocolates. I personally found this very strange, considering coca comes from the tropics and these fine chocolates are coming from Iceland. It’s truly a global community we live in.

For me it’s always real vanilla extract.

2 Likes

Finished a couple more Xmas gifts.

28 Likes

Love the roots from the bottom, really beautiful.

2 Likes

Me too…that’s so unique! :smiley:

2 Likes

I can’t take credit for the design. My wife found it somewhere.

1 Like

Very nice work! The cutting board looks great, and the roots are very creative.
I would love to be making gifts this year. Thank you for sharing, and the inspiration!

1 Like

Love the Michigan roots thing. Though for me the roots would need to be coming from the U.P.!:wink:

2 Likes

…and this is traditional Icelandic chocolate. You know, from olde tyme Nordic historical-like recipes and what. I suppose cacao has been wandering the planet since the mid 17th century, so it could be incorporated into Iceland’s past to become traditional. Just not what I think of when I think of the land settled by Vikings.

3 Likes

Michigan, sucking all the good stuff out of Indiana and Ohio for generations!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Not sure there’s been any good stuff to get from those states for generations :wink:

3 Likes

Except college football players last weekend…:sob:

4 Likes

Hey, I was born and raised in Indiana. Lol. I received my degrees from Undue Perversity, er I mean Purdue University.

3 Likes

I think Michigan fans might argue that game wasn’t decided by the players. I’m not so much a Michigan fan as an Ohio state hater.:innocent:

2 Likes

I guess tat fully makes sense as I grew up in Indiana and have now lived in Michigan for almost 20 years. :confounded:

2 Likes

Ouch :scream:

1 Like