Source for CO2 fire extinguishers?

We have them at the office.

4 Likes

Thanks for the link. Ordered one and my safety glasses.

Good to hear @dan

Have you had a chance to verify their effectiveness in real world fire control yet?:smiley:

4 Likes

Amazon.ca doesnā€™t sell these but Iā€™m in Seattle at PAX next week. Anyone have experience with the Amazon lockers? Do you need a PRIME membership to use them? I have PRIME for Canada but not for the States.

ā€¦ and I see they arenā€™t shipping for two to three weeksā€¦ bummer

1 Like

The price on Halotron extinguishers has dropped a little @ Amazon, if you havenā€™t gotten one yet. I just ordered one of these:

2.5lb Halotron Extinguisher

$84.33 w/prime

7 Likes

Unfortunately for us Canucks, Amazon.com wonā€™t ship these to Canada, and on Amazon.ca, the cheapest price on this exact model is well north of $350! A little bit of exchange rate, and a whole bunch of greed. grr.:rage:

1 Like

There are alternatives to halon-style gas extinguishers.

Found this for <$190 CDNā€¦
https://www.amazon.ca/Fire-Extinguishers-Hg250b-Clean-Agent/dp/B005JV8ZXO/

Edit (so, so many editsā€¦): If you donā€™t mind spending a bit more, thereā€™s some brickā€™nā€™mortar places that have it for almost the same price.

3 Likes

@lcuellar63 Thanks! I have been meaning to get an extinguisher. Hopefully all it will ever do is gather dust.

3 Likes

So as an update, I ordered one of these from the above Amazon reseller.

And although I donā€™t want to say they played it fast and loose with exporting it from the US, I definitely did not receive my $19.00 ā€œsafety bracket for carā€ which was ā€œrepair and returnā€ā€¦ :speak_no_evil:

Look a little like this?

1 Like

You got the wrong instruction manual too? Mine also came with a free fire extinguisher attached to my bracket. I can only assume someone fell asleep in the shipping departmentā€¦ :innocent:

1 Like

I just assumed the free fire extinguisher was included to make sure the bracket retained its shape and didnā€™t get crushed during transit. :wink:

5 Likes

Bit of a resurrection here however I finally got into the fire extinguisher battle. I spent quite some time on the phone today with a few different extinguisher suppliers and the end result was that I would want a halotron or FE-36 fire extinguisher, one classified as ABC, because of the potential for the materials inside to catch on fire.

This has been well discussed among everyone here, the part that caught me off guard was when they said the size I would need to reach that standard. 9lbs for the FE 36 or 11 lbs for the Halotron, its only after these capacities that you reach the 1A rating required for putting out a wood fire.

For those curious, Iā€™m looking at $580 for the Halotron or $537 for the the FE 36 in Canada. If anyone has a source with a better price for an extinguisher of that size please share.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the size of the wood that they spec for a wood fire? Because I doubt you could get as much wood as they use into a gf.

2 Likes

might sound dumb, but how about a fire proof mitt, a large metal trash can, and a lid.

3 Likes

I am very satisfied with this one. good brand too.

Iā€™m sorry the imaginary line that makes our countries separate cost so much.

3 Likes

I had told them I could be using 10x20x.25 of plywood. The thing of note was that to reach the 1A rating it was based on the volume of the extinguisher. So a 2.5 lb halotron would not have a 1A rating because of the volume.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not be a fire prevention salesman, but that sounds really over rated to me. Sounds like someone just drew a line in the sand in terms of what qualifies as ā€œ1A ratingā€ and cited 11 lbs as the size.

For the price difference of the 2.5lb vs. 1.0lb Halotron, it just made more sense to me to get the 2.5lb. Many people use the 2.5lb for small engine fires, which seemed comparable to the size I thought one might expect.

5 Likes

A 2.5 lb extinguisher is more than adequate. If you donā€™t plan on putting a big piece of wood in your GF, press the button to start, and walk away. Then it doesnā€™t really matter what size extinguisher you have. If a fire starts, the laser and the air assist will make lots of flame and weā€™ll see how much you have left. I donā€™t know how often real flame ups happen. I intend to have my GF plugged into an emergency off button power box. If there is some real flames startingā€¦cut power, open lid with tongs, spray extinguisher, close lid, fire out. I really think the GF itself should have a red mushroom type EPO button, but I will put my own inline. - Rich

1 Like

Iā€™m all set

12 Likes