Speculation on the Expansion Port

Yeah, but I didn’t mean a separate plotter, I meant being able to use the glowforge cameras and software to align using the pen plotter function alongside one’s laser engravings.

After dealing with my 3D printers, more power to the people that think they’ll use it, but I really think it would add a lot of complexity and mess, not to mention tie up the laser for long periods of time.

How about some laser sintering, though? :smile:

3 Likes

No, I gotcha. I meant more that because I already have plotters, that prospect isn’t as exciting for me. :slight_smile:

Glowforge even provides a spare multi-kV power supply suitable for exactly this purpose :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like the tilting head idea, you could do intricate undercuts in 3D engraving.

How about dual laser heads? One could cut while the other engraves… although I suppose you need a second laser tube as well running at different power level

Or maybe dual heads performing the same tasks, just in different areas of the work piece? You could engrave two copies of an item at the same time, and save time doing it.

Vinyl cutter? No. There are no drive rollers to pull the material through. You would be limited to designs no larger than the bed size.

3D printing? That’s more like 2.5D given the Z restriction, at which point you can just 3D engrave a piece of acrylic… ooh, that could be SWEET!

1 Like

I don’ think it would be great as a 3D printer either just because it has such a small Z height for the large print volume it could have. You might be able to do some fun stuff printing circuitry or electronics.

1 Like

My question is (and perhaps @marmak3261 can answer this) is how quickly can you swap out the head assembly if you needed to? Is it a 5 minute or 5 second process on account of the magnets? Given the speed of swapping, it might help make or break any particular use case.

1 Like

Mechanically you can just reach in and pull it out in one firm movement. The duration came for me with powering off the machine and unplugging it. Not sure if they are designing it to be hot swappable. I’m sure cord could be left in but you know the protocol for reaching into high voltage electronics. Then waiting for it to come back up and register the head.

And unplugging the ribbon.

6 Likes

That’s all I need, frankly. But also pro models could side step the issue.

Or honestly dan has talked before about bunching up material in the basic and cutting it in swaths.

2 Likes

Use one hand, so if/when you get shocked you don’t stop your heart. :grin:

3 Likes

It could be advanced manually through the pass-through slot, couldn’t it?

1 Like

On the pro, yes.

How about a blowtorch option:

http://okgo.net/2010/11/10/last-leaf-official-video/

Maybe just easier to use the laser…

Lasers are really, really, really good at cutting vinyl…
Get a short throw lens (1.5" or less!), apply minimal power and run it at about 30mm/s.

I know lasering PVC isn’t that smart in general - BUT: The amount removed with a short focus lens is minuscule.

I would think CNC head. Just for doing PCB’s - not need for much power and it isn’t that messy.

Peter.

1 Like

There shouldn’t be any high voltage near that head?

It’s the furthest from the high power end of the laser.
We are talking very, very low voltage there.

And the head should not touch the laser at all!!
(Don’t touch the tube. Just don’t. You will know why when you get one). :blush:

Peter.

1 Like

I know, I just don’t care to go down that road; hate to have a warranty voided on a technicality.

1 Like

Yes, but warranties and such. And the fact that the cat loves it when I open anything and he can jump in and put his paw into places I can’t reach!

4 Likes

Could be a :smile_cat:Cat-tastrophy :scream_cat:!! Sorry, could not help myself.

5 Likes

I would actually be fairly surprised if your cat would be able to get its paws into anything remotely close to high voltage.

I design my machines to be used in school settings. The Cat Test is the least of the tests. Try building something that can’t get an inquisitive 10yo in trouble!!

The Glowforged is aimed at home use so it would be at least as secure as my machines. And with the amount of pressed plastic on it - likely much safer. A beetle probably couldn’t get into it!

Peter.

3 Likes

A simple diamond drag engraving bit would be awesome! You’d have to make a little drop in hold-down plate to attach your materials to, but think of how easy the camera would make dropping your design onto things. :blush: Yes, there are ways to laser engrave metal, but I love my diamond drag bit on my CNC.

4 Likes

Got it!! A tiny hand attachment for keeping your pet content !!! Attach the "tiny hand"® attachment… remove the crumb tray and place pet in the bed. push the button and watch as the hand gently strokes your pet - keeping them content for hours.***

*** Please make sure to remove laser head before placing pet in laser bed
*** Please remove pet from laser bed before replacing laser head.
:smile_cat::smile:

8 Likes