Tech Husband, Crafty Wife

Looks like @Tony has started what should become a sticky once it is filled with boards:

can we get all the owner boards together there?
I feel like your request to meet other female glowforge creators has been hijacked…

I’m the resident laser expert here-- my background is mostly in visual art, but I was laser trained in the makerspace/hackerspace gauntlet. I have to say, I tend to think that “techy” and “crafty” are one and the same thing. I’m especially amazed at people who are really good with sewing machines-- they’re really complicated!

4 Likes

Here is a link to my pinterest board! I can’t want to start designing some files to etch out!

@Whitfry Love your board Whitney! @Tony Yours too! I love how the pins are so varied! Tony My husband is excited to get back into leather working! hopeully we will be able to get all the supplies shipped to Japan! So excited!

1 Like

Crafty one here! I love crafting and some light workbench “stuff.” I have experience with graphic design and technology.

I don’t know everything I probably need to; but, I am confident that I can figure it out.

I’m so excited!

2 Likes

I think it would be great to start a laser ladies group at some point. :smile: Maybe once the units have shipped we can set something up.

4 Likes

I can’t wait to get my hands on mine! I have so many ideas in my head waiting to come out and expand my current business. Feel like a little kid again waiting for that big gift from Santa :smile: I research a laser before and they just didn’t seem simple enough to quickly integrate into my business without learning new software. Excited!

Never thought to look on pinterest, oh my I am addicted now! I need to set up a board asap!!! :smile:

-Marie - techie, geek, crafty mom :wink:

1 Like

I like crafting too. I sew, have my Silhouette Cameo Plotter and a scroll saw. I like working with wood, fabrik, paper and leather. I am very excited to work with acrylic glass and I cannot think of all the possibilities that tumble in my mind.
All the SVG Cutfiles and other Cutfiles I bought for my Cameo can all be used… [screaaaam]. I think I will use the time of waiting for my GF in introducing myself in 3-D-grafik-programms

1 Like

I also like crafting and already have a Silhouette Cameo 2, Curio and Cricut Explore Air (I also have the eCraft and Pazzles Inspiration that I don’t use anymore…).

I guess I won’t be the first one to receive it as I live in France, but can’t wait to see what other people could do with it once they have it.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention that I am both tech and crafty in one person :). As I am an IT-Architect and Requierments Engineer I am keen on using the software and finding out all the cool features.

I’m a sculpture major with a secondary focus on metalsmithing and jewelry. I cannot wait to start playing with this. My mom is also a graphic designer with a love of package-design.

This’ll be my first laser! So excited. I’ve been looking at 3D printers and thinking that they were cool, but not really versatile. A friend posted the glowforge to her facebook and my family rallied to get one ordered! I’ll be making jewelry and sculpture, my mom’ll probably tap me to print stuff for her and my dad is looking at engraving ALL the things. We’ve been having conversations over the phone about what we’re all going to make haha.

1 Like

I’m a Silhouette Cameo owner and a Cricut Explore Air owner, so I’m right there with the crafty ladies wanting to be more of a techie one. I pre-ordered the basis Glowforge but I’m on the edge about adding the ventilation package today before they go up in price. I just started following all the Pinterest boards which have been posted here to get ready for the new member of my studio when it arrives.

We drew a lot of inspiration from Cricut/Silhouette/etc - love to hear your thoughts when you get your Glowforge about how it compares.

2 Likes

I am hoping there is no comparison! I like my Silhouette…but, it was $250ish 3 years ago. :smile:

@kim

You know that GF and Cameo are not compareable… Think of the thickness and types of materials that can be cut… or the damned sticky mat that isn’t sticky at all when you are in a hurry and need to cut some paper.

I am in deed very interested in comparing the software that is delivered. In my eyes the Silhouette Software is a good example of usabilty and keep the barrier low so that everyone is able to use it, no matter what software skills the person has.

2 Likes

I have a two year old cameo and recently ‘upgraded’ to the Curio with the promise of cutting thicker materials. I was able to get an advance version of the larger base but have come up empty handed in the deep cut blade. For what it’s worth I wish I had sat on those funds and applied it towards the glowforge. Wouldn’t it be interesting if it arrives before a simple blade. …

1 Like

Hey Gals. I have a tech husband, and I lean toward the building on the team. I wouldn’t say I’m super crafty though. I’m a bit sad that lasers and vinyl don’t mix. My tools are drills, saws, a grinder, sander… My husband is form while I am function. He gravitates to the office in our home, and I love the shop. In a project we were brainstorming, he’s thinking programming and wiring while I’m considering the use of space and materials and getting all the nooks I want. My Pinterest board for laser work is not extensive yet, but it’s a start. I’ll surely be checking some of your boards, and will post mine once I get something worthwhile on it.

Fun! I’m a user of the Black Cat Cougar plotter/cutter, and would love to explore the delicious gray areas between art and craft with you all.

1 Like

@dominicwgv FYI GF Facebook Group

Thanks for the info–I just sent a request. My name is Heidi