Watch Brad Feld & Dan Shapiro print something

@ihermit2: Yup, easy to do. I believe the software does it but the hardware support is missing - our own power supplies aren’t cleared for use outside the lab yet. (With the 3rd party power supplies we have to use, the software can’t control the laser output power, just on/off).

@septimus39: I wanted to call the video “so easy even an investor could use it”.

@padeason: Good idea!

@shollg: Yeah, we had no idea where we came in, but while we’re higher than our highest hopes, we’re not that much higher. TBD on materials, we haven’t thought through how that works. The problem is that the whole reason we’re going to be in that barcode/materials business is to make sure you have materials that are predictable, and if anyone can put the barcode on there, the quality control goes out the window. There might be a middle ground though.

3 Likes

Not sure if this was stated in the movie, but is this an example of a pro or basic model?

Good to know! I’ll have to check what materials my stamping plastic is made from. I have no desire to poison myself.

What was the thickness of that walnut?

And I’d volunteer to be a guinea pig if you want more :slight_smile:

@bmhingst: Basic. We’re 100% focused on basic right now, since that’s the baseline for pro.
@htmljenn: Definitely!
@jmsuth: 1/8". Gotcha!

1 Like

Hey Dan!

Doing something like this with community members would be awesome, I think it’d definitely increase confidence : )

I build custom mechanical keyboards here in the UK in my spare time & I rent a laser cutter by the hour to cut parts, nothing too complicated but a little more functional than a coaster. I’d love to see if I could cut out and build a keyboard with a Glowforge, it’d be a great thing to show off! (and it’d save me spending £30 an hour on a laser cutter ;))

@josh got any pictures of your keyboards? Would love to see your work :wink:

@dan could make an overseas print from the EU :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey Dan,

Agreed! This was an excellent down and dirty glimpse! I’m excited to see that integration with Illustrator is simple and direct… which is one of the reasons I never dove into 3D printing. I love working in Illustrator, even teaching it at the community college in addition to my full-time day job as a graphic artist and merchandising designer. It’s an awesome tool.

I’d love to see more examples of your team executing ‘prints’, either locally or over the cloud as in this example. And yes, of course, seeing that extend into the Glowforge community would be thrilling. Naturally we’re all on pins and needles waiting to try our hand at this!

A few things I’d like to see:
• Aligning longer cuts / engravings with the Pro model
• Aligning thicker cuts by flipping the material for a second pass
• Closer glimpse of the plug-ins/ dialing in settings in the web app (those details were a bit small here)
• working with curved surfaces, such as the macbook edges

Cheers and thanks for the hard work!
-Brad

What if the user generated codes were very different? Maybe one uses a bar code and one uses QR codes?

Yes, i have a ton of this for my vinyl decal jobs. Recently learned that siser easy weed is pvc free! Would be pretty cool if my transfer tape is usable too! I’ll do some research on the brand I use from uscutter

@padeason. The product is available at laserbits.com Lang with almost anything you might want to cut or engrave. All laser safe.

http://www.laserbits.com/laser-supplies/masking-materials.html

Will the plug-in work with different versions of illustrator? Eg, CS5?
Thanks

1 Like

Here here! It would make sense to be backward compatible all the way to CS4 like an idml is.

If memory serves the plugin architecture is different, so right now it’s CC-only. I’ll put CS4/5 support in the feature request hopper.

1 Like

And of course, CS6 too.

What about other programs like Inkscape? Especially since you all use that in the office…

Really eager for inkscape. I probably just have not found where/how to do it, but in Photoshop it is trivial to make a box/circle of precise size. While in Illustrator I cannot figure out how to do so. Inkscape is even easier to get the size AND location that you want for a part. Most of my work will certainly be in Inkscape.

Whoa! Yes please!

Well you did warn us about it not being exciting! Hahah seriously though all I can think about is that the brain is in the cloud and the glowforge only connects to PC via wifi. I always have issues with wifi and cloud and am curious if you are at all concerned with this?!

You really did find a sweet spot with bring a user friendly laser engraver to market(clearly since it just got so much funding) but I always have people telling me how awesome some of my work is and all I did was have a laser engraver etch a black and white photo onto a cutting board or something! Anyways thanks for the video and I would love to participate in a remote experience with the glowforge and maybe we can etch some more exotic material next time ;)z

Inkscape is definitely scheduled for some love.

4 Likes