When will the first unit ship out?

I am curious to hear from the Glowforge team. @dan @bailey

1 Like

lol if i get mine by my birthday in march ill be happy . now everyone is hyped up which is great everyone is making room for the product in their shops coming up with ideas all great but when they dont get their machine in 2 to 3 months what what will happen in the forum lol. i ve been there once with another product and omg but i guess the people that will be happy will supersed the ones not so it will all be fine lol

A little more than that. . . 28 million from us plus the $9 million from the angel investors. Oof, you could buy a little non-extradition island in the Caribbean for that. :smile:

I sure the folks in England can make some serious book on shipping and receiving dates. Wonder what iFixit will pay for the first tear down. Don’t they send someone to pick an item up just to be the first to tear it down? And how long till it’s reverse engineered for local control? My expectations are low. Cool if I had it for my March BDay. I’ve referenced this post a few times for perspective.

As to the uncertainty on shipping. I can’t find where that video is but it is @dan telling the story of manufacturing and shipping Robot Turtles. Very confident. But also know this is a new product. Bound to be snafus. All in all, worth the risk.

From the recent Gizmag interview: Dan says " Right now we’re expecting to deliver to our Kickstarter backers during the first half of 2016. For orders placed now, most likely Q3, 2016."

[http://www.gizmag.com/glowforge-3d-laser-printer-interview-dan-shapiro/40115/][1]

1 Like

There weren’t any Kickstarter backers for GlowForge were there? That would put the integrity of that article into question, though I think @dan has said the same thing here more or less.

Ha! Yeah, they got the platform wrong, but the rest of the quote is right. We’re cranking to get all of the 30-day preorders shipped in the first half of next year, and the rest in the 3rd quarter (summer) of 2016.

6 Likes

That`s very good to hear. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s terrible to hear. Over 6 months!? I was under the impression this was near completion and setup already. Expect a lot of angry customers within the next couple months.

Oh i will wait to get it - i know its a kickstarter and i will be very happy if we got a CE and i will drink tea :wink:

Glowforge is not a Kickstarter project. It was funded by investers and the company recently pre-sold ~ $30 million worth of units.

It seems in common speech that tissue:Kleenex::crowfunding:Kickstarter. We aren’t quite there yet.

I think that @dan has also said that the pre-sales are not funding the company, or at least not paying salaries. If true, then crowdfunding may not be correct either.

as a small business owner im not sure if waiting for a great sounding product like glowforge for at least 6 months and hoping it works 100% is logical or taking the plunge and buying a big ticket item with a small business loan and make money right away. what do you guys thing? shipi out is not yet certain, 100% working is not certain, testing done only in house not yet from end user . too many ifs and buts lol im lost

That’s a very personal decision that has different factors for every small business. For me, a $20K laser engraver was on the long range plan for 6 to 8 years out when I thought I’d be able to justify that kind of expense. So, for my business, having a high likelihood of being able to do 75% of what I would be able to do with a $20K laser starting in 6 months is much better than waiting 6 to 8 years for the “perfect” laser. If the reviews of the first thousand Forges isn’t promising, I can still cancel and hold out for the higher-end laser that far in the future.

3 Likes

thanks for the response john. i guess its a decision i have to make . just yesterday alone i lost 4 bamboo cutting boards 39$ a pop and 2 leather notebooks 20$ pop lost in sales lol i know its a holiday season rush but still sale is a sale

It’s gonna be months and you have short term concerns. The best advice we have is to think logically, not with your heart or hopes. We won’t look down on you if you’re not a GF owner. :wink: Sounds like you have financial risks. $3600 is the most I’ve spent on anything in 10 years but now that it’s gone I don’t think about it. The GF will be a welcome surprise the day it arrives at my door.

1 Like

i just got quoted 8500 for a 12x18 2 year warranty on a well known brand with free table and a cutting board. lol on the other hand another option for 3499 another kick starter project perfect price point a for me but so many mixed reviews. why cant just glowforge make one and send to me so i can sleep at night easily lol

1 Like

Good to hear from Dan on this one. I was hoping for early 2016 but realistically with the price I paid expecting anytime in the first half of the year.

I am just praying for patience… I can’t wait to get my hands on this beauty!