Workshops/Workspaces

I’m doing that next month. My wife hurt herself (teaching a Zumba class) and it knocked her out of commission for 3 weeks. Hoping the sauna will help her recover after classes so she doesn’t overwork.

Oh, and I’ll get to use it too :grinning:

4 Likes

The shelves are 25mm (1") hardwood ply sitting on 50x75mm supports. The cladding on the sides is 18mm Birch faced ply and it is VERY solid. He is a bit tired, all the materials had to be carried the 80m from the road down to the bottom of the garden, as did all the ply for the worktops and the boxing in of the boiler.

Oh, and literally everything else that was used to build the place, including the 16 tons of soil on the roof.

Bless him.

4 Likes

Love the boxed in boiler! Wish I could show you a close-up of the ply he used to make the boxing and the work tops, but it doesn’t seem to photograph very well. It’s ply which has had a stain applied and is then coated with melamine, so you can still see the Birch grain, but you get lovely colours and a perfectly smooth surface.

5 Likes

Such a nice setup. The fortunate among us might have a spare room we can dedicate to shop/studio space. Lacking that, some need to tolerate unheated garage space.
A newly designed space with that square footage is a distant dream for most of us.

After a year or so of adapting to it, I’d like to see how you populate and decorate it!

4 Likes

Just moved all my heavy machinery in.
Sooooo close now.
And we stress tested the benches.

26 Likes

Fingers crossed that it passed the stress test !!! (Or that’s a you tube video !!):astonished:

PS… I’m hoping those peeps aren’t the “heavy machinery” (labor laws and all…) :grin:

6 Likes

What labour laws…You mean I can’t use 'em?

2 Likes

This is the heavy stuff.
Think him indoors may have hurt himself.

26 Likes

YES…that’s heavy duty equipment. What do you use the presses for? - Rich

1 Like

I thought most labour laws excluded family?

4 Likes

I’m a bookbinder and conservator, so the two black ones are used for pressing leather onto mill-board or board to board, or as in the piece you can see in the right hand press acrylic to board. I also use them during the binding process. The blue one in the background is used for applying gold foil and embossing lettering.

10 Likes

Awesome. You have no idea how happy that makes me.:grinning:

3 Likes

I learn so much on this forum… - Rich

4 Likes

Board shear! I better not let R see this, she has a big old guillotine shear but wants a board shear too.

Lovely space to work, you are never going to want to go home.
Oh, wait…

8 Likes

wow wow wow. I need to make some flat-media racks really badly.

I hope him indoors gets a good back-massage after moving all that stuff!

7 Likes

I might stretch to some asprin, but only if it looks like he might be impaired for tomorrows jobs.

3 Likes

The board cutter is pretty much essential. Unfortunately, the guy who does the maintenance on it lives in France (there is no one in the UK who does these). With Brexit and the complications that will bring, I’m not sure how viable it will be to keep this. At the moment, I give him a call and he can be here in about 7 days and lovely as my Tormek is, i’m not sure it can cope.

4 Likes

It looks pretty simple. Is it really that tough to maintain? - Rich

1 Like

Something satisfying about heavy, cast iron tools. I got a new tool this week. Have to clean it up a bit and get a few things ready. It’s a press too. Hope to unveil it on Sunday.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, yes.
The blades are over 4 feet long and the top one is curved. i have to keep two sets, one stays in the machine and the other goes for sharpening on a rotation basis. the guard has to be lapped occasionally. Usually he comes once a year and it takes about half a day for him to do a complete service and replace the blades.
With the purchase price I’m not willing to let anyone who isn’t qualified to even look at the damn thing.
http://www.conservation-by-design.com/productdetails.aspx?id=84&itemno=EQSFSG1280

6 Likes