Zer0 Helmet Build (detailed post)

Darn man that looks like a huge amount of work well done

3 Likes

There’s a few builders out there making things with these. Not ideal but a start.

5 Likes

Wow - just Wow… (Wouldn’t it have just been easier to build a spaceship and fly around looking for some advanced civilization that used a helmet like that - then just “borrow” one??) … just wow…:alien:

6 Likes

That was a stunner!

5 Likes

This is simply stunning. Loved seeing that process because it was one I was specifically hoping to user with filling in the foamcore model that came from 123D Make, but wasn’t sure how well it would actually work. The whole thing came out fantastic!

5 Likes

Absolutely incredible work! Looks fantastic!

4 Likes

WOW!! Brilliant.

5 Likes

Wow!! That is fan-freakin’-tastic!! Top rate!! Are you sure you don’t work for a movie studio? Thanks so much for posting!!

3 Likes

Wow! Great work, I particularly enjoyed the vacuum forming of the visor.

2 Likes

I didn’t know you could dye that stuff…!

1 Like

ohhh yes. it opens up so many avenues for goggles, visors, etc. in prop making those are some of the hardest things to make accurately, or to find well made versions of. its a great feeling to know that if something doesnt exist you can make it a reality

6 Likes

Thanks! How durable is the color in terms of abrasion?

The satisfaction at successful completion, what existed only as a thought, you brought into 3D reality.
No other endeavor in life gives me that feeling! The root of the disease who’s primary symptom is tool gathering / hoarding.

3 Likes

Well Ive dropped my visor and scraped it up. but ive never done a depth test before. I have a spare from a bad pull that I kept around for just such purposes. Give me a few minutes and we’ll see how deep it goes!

oh I know! my workshop is overflowing now. artistry is its own reward! im so hooked. Ive seen the work youve posted. Its amazing. I have yet to get to work with metal, but im in awe of what youve created

6 Likes

Thank you, that’s very kind - especially from another practiced craftsman.
I’m compelled to return the complement. That helmet project, the form, finish and the steps to get there reflect your artistic ability to visualize and the creative ability to achieve that vision.
pushing up against perfection, the helmet is amazing!

I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of inspiration around here as units are delivered.

2 Likes

I did a few tests and it seems it doesnt penetrate incredibly far. Standard scratches from dropping wont show much reduction in color, however taking a rasp to it removes all coloring from the surface. Luckily the visors I made were dyed on all sides, so its only visible from the inside, and only when looking at something well lit. looking through from the outside inwards shows no reduction in color.

9 Likes

Better than I expected! Thanks for the drop-check :thumbsup:

5 Likes

Wow! Thanks incredible! I hadn’t planned on using my Glowforge for projects that involved but that got some ideas flowing.

3 Likes

You are an amazing artist! wow

3 Likes

Thanks! After having a laser for a while you get used to the convenience. At the beginning I was more prone to attempt to make full projects on it, but it becomes a lot cooler when you are able to incorporate it into a workflow. That assumes you have other tools that do other things better though =P. Like a CNC router is great, as it can do 2.5d with much more detail, but its soooo much more work and takes a lot longer.

3 Likes