1/4” acrylic bent boxes

These acrylic boxes are made of 1/4” clear acrylic with 3/8” clear acrylic rods. I use a homemade heat bender to bend the acrylic. I’ve made about 300 of these to date.

44 Likes

These look great

9 Likes

This is really cool, can you tell us more about the heat bender?

I never tried to bend acrylic, those corners look nice and sharp, is there a limit to how sharp you can make them? Do you have to do any kind of annealing or anything?

Welcome to the forum, we love new users!

16 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for sharing the photos of your project. Do you make different sizes of these boxes or are all 300 the same?

I hope you will continue to share information and inspiration here in the forum.

10 Likes

Wow, what an entrance! Welcome to the community. How does the code square (drawing a name blank) ‘read’? Does it need to be backed with something dark?

7 Likes

Very cool! I’d also love to know more about your process!

8 Likes

QR code :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I love these! What are they designed for specifically?

7 Likes

These are amazing. I would love to know your process as well! Welcome to the forum!

6 Likes

Also curious about what they are for!

4 Likes

This customer orders the same size each time.

2 Likes

They hold 4”x4” glass samples

12 Likes

They scan perfectly without anything dark behind it.

5 Likes

I am attaching photos of the heat bender. A steel wire runs through the u-channel, one end attached to a screw, the other end has a small spring attached and then attached to another screw. Alligator clips are placed on the steel wire and then to the power source. Flip power source on and lay the 1/4” acrylic over steel wire. Takes about 2 minutes for acrylic to be ready for bending. The one board is hinged and has a stopper for a 90° bend. Hope this all makes sense.

13 Likes

Sure does! Was this v1 or is this a refined version?

2 Likes

Ingenious - or maybe just genius!

3 Likes

Interesting so not in direct contact with the acrylic just next to it?

4 Likes

The wire sits about .19” away from the acrylic.

5 Likes

Is that a nichrome wire?

4 Likes

Yes, 24 gauge

3 Likes