~1/4” Maple wasn’t cutting through

My glowforge was not cutting though my roughly 1/4” precut maple. I never had a problem before with this wood but now it will not cut through. I had the speed set to 135-140 and used to cut fine and now at 130 it doesn’t cut through all the way and scorched the wood. After messing around with the speed some more I figured I’d try once more at a speed of 125. At this speed it cut all the way through and the wood wasn’t scorched?? I just do not understand why at a slower speed the wood is not scorching and confused as to why my settings from a month ago no longer work on the same exact wood. I attached a photo. The burnt and not cut through and the slower speed cut through perfectly. To add, all lenses are clean and the entire machine was cleaned about a week or 2 ago

1 Like

Make sure your optics are clean – that’s always the first thing to check when it stops cutting through.

You’ve opened a support ticket by posting here, so they’ll be along soon to help out. They can’t support non-PG materials, though, so while you’re waiting it would be a good idea to cut a Gift of Good Measure on PG material using PG settings, and post front and back photos of it. Date / time / time zone of the print is helpful, too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cleaning the lenses periodically helps, and I’ve also had to occasionally slow the speed down as the wood swells. Some of it picks up humidity over time, and it twists once you have cut parts out of the center of a sheet. If you have calipers you can check the thickness to see how thick it’s gotten and adjust for it.

(But it’s not unusual at all for me to have to tweak settings a bit on a carved up sheet.)

2 Likes

They did send out an email to some users where they made an adjustment on the back end to fix something - and warned that any personalized settings should be double checked after the adjustment was made…did you by chance get one of those emails?

1 Like