11 days in

This is my first post, I have had my Glowforge pro for 11 days, these are 2 things that i made.

This is an engraving that I made by grabbing a high resolution image and simply pasting it into the glowforge ui. Alternatively, you can use the upload from file option and specify the file (this was a jpeg).

This is my first attempt at a simple inlay, walnut inlaid into curly maple.

25 Likes

Very nice work on the inlay! Is it a full depth inlay or a veneer (is the inlay the same depth as the maple and the maple is cut all the way through, or is the maple engraved with a thin channel and the walnut is a thin veneer laid into it)?

And that curly maple is beautiful!

1 Like

The contrast between the maple and walnut is outstanding. Beautiful job. Is this going to be the top of a box? :blush:

2 Likes
   HI, the inlay is not full depth. The maple is 1/4", and the walnut is 1/8" proof grade. I used engrave mode to carve the channels, and took the same image, and cut it out of walnut. The entire inlay is a single piece. I used acetone to clean the residue and smoke from the faces and as best as i could from the channels as well.  Then i flowed some slow curing thin superglue into the channels, and the inlay plugs in just like an intricate puzzle piece! 

This inlay was very tight, so after i had it initially seated as far as i could get by hand, i used a flat board and a vise to press it home. I finished with a quick spray of super glue activator, sanded up to 600 grit, and applied a few coats of spray lacquer.  I will have to wait a week for full cure before final sanding up to 12000 (yes, twelve thousand) grit, and these will look like they are made from glass!
3 Likes

This was a box lid that i cut out a few days ago, but i failed to take into account the thickness of the wood i was using, which resulted in in the finger joints not being deep enough. I hate to waste beautiful wood, so i decided to use it as a test piece.

3 Likes

There are ways to fix things. You could make the sides of a lid also thin. A bit of work with a file to make the inside deeper, or you could cut a new smaller lid. That wood is too beautiful not to do something with it.

1 Like

you could also cut the “fingers” off and use it as a slide lid with a groove cut into the box

2 Likes

A lid style I use frequently. I make a square cutout and a shallow engrave to drop it into. similar to your inlay but sticking out,

1 Like