15 min to prepare your print

Ever since yesterday, when GF had the server problems, It takes forever to upload my design, open it and then prepare my print before the blue lite comes on! Any suggestions here??

Things are working fine for me. If you try a known file like the Gift of Good Measure do you see the same sluggishness? Also, have you tried a different browser?

I have been using google chrome ever since I got my machine. I have reset my router 3 times, turned the machine on & off 3 times and cleared my cash twice. The design is the same as before and was working fine before the outage yesterday.

While we can appreciate that it’s the same file that worked before… that wasn’t the question asked. Can you try the gift of good measure and verify that the sluggishness follows to a known good and quick file?

I’ll give that a try next! Is there a limit on the file size to run?

Don’t believe so, but GoGM is a good benchmark to go by.

Ok this is what happened! I opened gift of good measure and it opened quick and prepare print was faster. The file I am trying to open is 16 meg. It was working fine 2 days ago, it just won’t open since the issue with the cloud servers had a problem yesterday. I did send a email to support and am waiting for a reply.

Ok. That IS a large file, but it should take it fine. Especially if it worked fine before.

Sometimes files get corrupted for no good reason. Since the Gift of Good Measure opened, this might be a file issue. Maybe try uploading the file again.

2 Likes

Actually, I have done that several times as well. I also removed some of the file and reduced it down to 4 meg and it still takes 14 min before the blue lite comes on to print.

Does your file have lots and lots of nodes in the paths?
If it’s mostly vector, and it’s 4 meg, then it probably does.

This will slow down GF’s processing of it on their servers and may contribute to the slowness.

I often run a basic “Simplify paths” in Illustrator before finishing any complicated design, which may help with this problem.

This is my file! Inkscape is my program. It will not load even after it says preparing your file for 25 min.
If I were to simplify the file won’t I loose alot of detail? I can do one at a time, but it still takes 6 min to process the file and it takes only 11:35 to run the file

Steve

3 Coaster SW test.svg

Ah yes! I can definitely see there’s a lot of detail there.

You’re engraving this onto a coaster, yea?
If you’re engraving, you might be better off rasterizing the image. Then GF won’t bother trying to figure out cut paths and such for the complicated vectors.

I just tried uploading your original image, and it did work for me… took a minute or two.
Then I tried rasterizing it, and it was much much faster.
I also tried what I suggested with simplifyng, and actually got some bad results … so I might have messed something up.

But for this example, rasterizing is the clear solution.
3 Coaster SW rasterized.svg.zip (975.7 KB)

I’m confused by the “Blue Light”. My button blinks white unless the machine throws an error or I reinitialize setup.

1 Like

That seems to work. If it’s possible, I need the coasters to be 3.75" and I can’t seem to be able to ungroup them.

Steve

I’m happy to help you do it if you get stuck, but you should try it yourself.

I would start with your original art, reduce it down to just 1 coaster.
Size it however you like.
Rasterize the inner part.
Then upload to GFUI.
Then copy/paste it however many times you need to.

Good luck!

1 Like

Ok, when I try to trace the image, it gets very blurry! How were you able to keep the image sharp?

I am stuck! I have tried everything and I simply can’t figure it out. I am not even close. After a I do a bit map trace and make six copies, I still get a 16 meg file, no matter what I do.

Not sure you’re going down quite the right path.

I believe in Inkscape you should select the part of the file you want to engrave, then do:
Edit > Make Bitmap Copy

You’ll probably then want to actually delete the original vector within the SVG.

As for making 6 copies, I wouldn’t do that until you’re in the GFUI (app.glowforge.com)

Thanks for getting back to me! 2 Questions! 1) Is there a firmware update to speed up the download process for my machine?
2) When I opened my file and pressed the ready button, I get a message saying prepairing your file and that is when it will either keep spinning forever or spin for about 6-10 min and then say error and refresh your browser. That’s the hang up for my machine! It won’t run long enough to get the blue button so I can print the file.

Steve