3D Cross Engrave

Found a very impressive 3D graphic and decided to give it a try. Turned out great on 1/8" BB.

50 Likes

That turned out great!

4 Likes

Did you do the full size? And which way was the wood grain going? I bought the same file, but I shrunk it down for bookmarks. Yours looks better than mine.

6 Likes

That one is 10"h x 6.25"w. I burned on poplar and maple but the birch came out best. I upped the power from 90to 95 and it made a big difference. 1000 spd , 95 pwr, vary, 270 lpi.

5 Likes

Thanks! I was testing it out before, but I wasn’t sure if it was because I shrunk it or the orientation of the file against the wood grain, but mine came out decent, but super grainy. I’ve tried both orientations on my BB, bit with similar results.

8 Likes

Plywood - even veneered like BB - is a poor choice for 3d engrave. It just doesn’t have the consistency of hardwood.

Sometimes you might luck out - the OP’s result is great - but even hardwood can be inconsistent. I made a bunch of nameplates and had to re-do several because of the difference in density on the same sheet. I think it was maple or poplar.

3 Likes

It’s not 3D as in deep, it’s 3D as a visual impression.

7 Likes

I had also engraved in hardwood maple, those results weren’t as nice as the birch. Actually had to engrave it twice to make it look like anything. I just wanted to get the details worked out before I try a big version (normal size that came with the file) to send to my dad.

4 Likes

Impressive. Looks 3d/deep in the pics.

5 Likes

This turned out really impressive. I have several of those files and they always turn out great.

1 Like

I have it in my cart as well.

2 Likes

Looks great

2 Likes

It’s the shading that gives the impression of a light source and the illusion of depth, but I can’t help but wonder if there weren’t a combination of the visual impression of depth and actual 3D engraving, that combined would be pleasing up close and to the touch.

5 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

That turned out amazing!

2 Likes

Wow! Impressive!

2 Likes

It sure did! Very impressive!!

1 Like

Gorgeousness

2 Likes

Where did you get the file?