3d engrave . . . uss orville

I have been using my GL+ for cutting with very small engraving or scoring.
I had 3D printed on my FormLabs 2 a model of the USS Orville. And like all TV future space craft they need a stand.
So I designed a small stand to be cut from Alum acrylic . The color of the Orville is a pewter/silver. Mine is still resin white.
Taking a Planetary Union Logo I 3d engraved it on the side of the stand. You can even make out the stars in the logo.
I first tried this in clear acrylic

I corrected the ship designation to ECV-197

29 Likes

Is that stand painted? Any tips for how you did it? For the life of me I can’t find a way to paint engraved acrylic that looks good. I’ve tried acrylic paint, oil paint and spray paint on masked engravings so far. None have come out looking good – uneven fills, bubbles in the paint, weird textures, and bumpy poorly defined lines around the engraving.

1 Like

Deleted.

3 Likes

Aluminum Acrylic used med black acrylic PG settngs

4 Likes

Unfortunately the rough surface is just the nature of engraved acrylic becasue it’s melted a bit. Defocusing and painting from the back helps, but it’s obviously a different look than painting wood etc. :confused:

7 Likes

Man, that aluminum acrylic looks amazing! I have a few pieces of “metal” acrylic that I’ve been hoarding waiting for inspiration. Your stand gives me some ideas.

2 Likes

The GF will not cut or engrave aluminum BUT it will cut and 3D engrave aluminum looking acrylic.
There are spray paints that paint plastic. However, there are a lot of colors and textures available for acrylics.
So if you find the right color and texture there is no need to paint.

1 Like

Turned out really nice!