3d engrave, wow!

I’m so happy with how my gingerbread stone chimney came out, and I wanted to share. I hadn’t done any 3d engraving yet, and thanks to @evansd2 for the pointers. I still might look into making a mold of some sort, because this took an hour and a half, but it turned out so well!

49 Likes

Looks like peanut brittle. And looks delicious! Great job!

5 Likes

Amazing how expectations drive perspectives. You tell someone that their 3D print will take an hour and a half and they will be amazed how fast that would be. 3D engraving takes the most time per area of anything you can make on a Glowforge but I would argue that it should be compared to a 3D print and not cutting out flowers on a Silhouette and the difference equally impressive.

I do think large Delrin plates to roll out pie crusts or gingerbread that you could make finished pieces could be a very good thing, but even a three hour engrave on more is not too much for such beautiful results,

7 Likes

As someone who has been 3d Printing for quite some time, I agree 100%. An hour and half is fast! I think my longest print was 30 to 40 some odd hours. My longest for a single project was 150+ hours.

I am looking forward to the how much faster I can create once my Glowforge arrives. Now if I could only speed that up how quick it will get here. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome! Yes the speed that a project can happen was why I went with the Glowforge in the first place. Even though you are limited to a half inch depth, it can have even greater detail, and the result in something other than plastic even make stuff in exotic wood. I have a large format 3D printer but cannot even start with it after several months while I was making stuff on the Glowforge within the hour that it was out of the box.

Many folk here use their 3D printer to join parts made on the Glowforge ,

2 Likes

A quick look and I see there is some effort being made to 3D print food. By compressing really thick dough with fats /waxes that can be warmed and cooled it might be possible to make the whole gingerbread house in one 3d print that you could bake as one piece? Or perhaps chocolate?

2 Likes

Great rounding on the stones! :sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

Really? That’s pretty short in 3D printing land for big jobs. I did a pelvis model that took almost 4 days of continuous time. (obviously the larger the printer the longer jobs you can accommodate, and on a Gmax 1.5+ you can hold some monster objects…

3 Likes

Wow, and I was really impatient yesterday when I 3d printed a flange for my exhaust port (took almost 5 hours lol).

2 Likes

I have looked into those, they are expensive but really cool. I don’t think the technology is all the way there yet though, and I doubt it would be as much fun as the laser (I do love fire :slight_smile: )

My Robo R1 had a limit of 8" X 10" X 6" which I printed a 3’ long T-Rex Skeleton. That took 1.5 weeks of pretty continuous printing.

I now have a CR-10 but have not printed anything large on it yet. I have not found a “large” project I want to undertake with it yet.

1 Like

The chimney looks great!

1 Like

Done.

7 Likes

Yum!

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see some finished houses. The ‘stones’ look so realistic.

3 Likes

We will put your name on the mailing ;list when we are ready to sell…

not done?

3 Likes

Holy cow, this is fantastic! I really need to play around with 3D engraving more. You’re doing wonderful work, though.

3 Likes

Thank you!! So fun :slight_smile:

I would be interested to know if anyone has had luck with higher speeds for 3d engraves. I tried running it faster, but it didn’t engrave deep enough when I did that, so I ended up just using the default.

3 Likes

Some tasks work better at lower speed and lower power. You just have to get a feel for it.

I ran a print earlier that theoretically could have run at a much higher speed and at higher power (I was only at 20%), but that combination has proven to not work well in the past.

1 Like

Higher speeds allow you to use more LPI. Once you have full power you cannot increase that. However, you can increase the LPI and it will go deeper or increase both and keep it the same depth. Obviously the balance varies with the species of wood so testing is a good thing.

1 Like