3D Engraving as Proofgrade Prints get Prettier: 10/23/17 Latest Improvements

Will do. Now I see three of the new options, but the other two are still there. Weird.

Is anybody yet seeing 3D engraving? I’m seeing the other new stuff but not that. I’m wondering if the depth map ( or height map) needs to be in a specific format. I have several depth map files I’d like to test.

1 Like

I’m seeing the same thing (Graphic, Dark Graphic, Photo, plus two Expiring Soon.) I thought the height map was just a grayscale image, which I have.

No. I did give a try though with the other three new ones. Again…as always, output depends on input…bad image, bad engrave. More testing later.

So I can see the new Graphic, Photo, etc. But I can’t seem to figure out under what circumstances I can 3D engrave.

1 Like

Oh, that’s a shame. There are two reasons why I like having two different depth of scoring: one aesthetic and one practical. Aesthetically it’s nice to be able to have some shading differences in complicated patterns and do that easily without modifying numbers manually. Practically I found out the hard way that with maple hardwood if you use the current slow score along the grain you can snap the piece of wood along the score in half easily. Being able to adjust that is kind of necessary.

I haven’t tested this myself, but it should appear as an option when you have a bitmap in your artwork, and the material is hardwood. Possibly for acrylic and other materials as well, but I’m pretty sure hardwood.

I’ve tried every listed hardwood, and several other material choices. None of them give the 3D engrave option with my bitmap image. I get graphic, deep graphic, and photo for most of them.
Medium Walnut hardwood doesn’t have deep graphic, but it has the others.
Some of the Acrylic’s don’t have photo, while others do. They all have graphic.
I tried making my image grayscale too, no difference.

2 Likes

Hmmm… Something amiss? I’m just not seeing 3D Engrave anywhere…

3 Likes

It’s showing up for me now, but not working quite right (granted, with a sample size of 1)

Me, too.

I’ll have to check out your thread. Haven’t tested myself yet.

I had to log out and then log back in…when I imported a jpeg I then saw the new 3d engrave choice on the menu. Not tested yet but maybe today…

There was an issue but they fixed it pretty quickly. Haven’t tested with the updated Proofgrade setting but I’m about to give it a try.

1 Like

Excited to see your result! :slight_smile:

Well, I threw some PG maple ply in… and the 3d engrave option isn’t there. Trying with some thick draftboard.

If might depend on what you have loaded for a file as well. Photo only shows up when a photo is present so…

Exact same file as before. I switched to thick draftboard with the same setup and it worked. Just kicked off a 1:41-long deep 3d engrave, we’ll see how it goes.

3 Likes

Yup, you are right.

I recall @dan saying it would only work on certain materials, he mentioned hardwood and maybe acrylics?

I’m guessing plywood wasn’t included because it would not really end up looking right/good once you cut past the first ply layer.

2 Likes

Dan said in an earlier post that the 3D Engrave option is there for specific materials. I recall he said mostly hardwoods (all?) and possibly some acrylic. So it sounds like that’s by design as it may work best on only those materials.

Edit: Found… 3D Engraving as Proofgrade Prints get Prettier: 10/23/17 Latest Improvements - #37 by dan