3D engraving issues

I am having problems 3D engraving an image. Is the 3D engraving option been moved? I do not see it when I upload the jpg or png file. I have the photo grayscaled and I tried using the default settings on hd photo grayscale and the laser does not engrave. The head moves back and forth but no laser. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Would be very appreciated. Thank you.

What is your material? You can’t select 3D Engrave settings on proofgrade plywood.

2 Likes

Think you solved my problem haha. It was basswood ply proof grade. Didn’t know that. Thank you for that information. What is good to 3D engrave on?

1 Like

Hardwoods, MDF/Draftboard, Acrylic.

Ply isn’t recommended or a default setting because of the difference in density between the veneer and core, but you can still select it manually.

Ok. Yea it took 3D engraving completely off the list for the plywood. I have some hard wood I will try tomorrow and see how it goes. Thank you so much for the help.

1 Like

For just playing with 3D, there are some cheap resource options available.
I had a pile of old ceiling fan blades. They have a tough mdf center and look good when 3D art is applied.
(Just test the cutting phase first. If you cannot dial in a good cut parameter, you may want to saw them to size/shape before the 3D part).

There are also wood flooring samples from Home Depot, etc that work well and are free. Just be sure you select the wood samples, not the plastic ones.

PSA: Be prepared to clean the machine after every six to ten projects. 3D is very debris heavy.

4 Likes

I’m sorry you ran into trouble when trying to set up your print. It’s great to see that @eflyguy was able to answer your question. Thanks Eflyguy!

Please let us know how your print goes when you give it a try. If you still run into trouble, we’ll be happy to help.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.