3D printing, cell phone powered?

If it’s using a phone screen, then it’s using visible light to cure and is going to need to keep the resin away from other visible light (well, maybe reds and yellows will be ok like the old darkrooms). Oh, and the “castable” thing usually doesn’t mean something that makes molds, but rather something that melts or burns out cleanly so you can do a 3D-printed equivalent of lost-wax casting…

5 Likes

Being a backer on this, do you have any idea of when it will be available?

I’m thinking asking Mike when the OLO will be available as a backer, may be much like asking any of us a Glowforge backers when it will be available.

Just my thinking, for what it’s worth.

5 Likes

In November 2016, they were saying some time in January and showed pictures of components. I’m guessing shipping in late January or early February at the earliest. Apparently they were also having problems with the label regulations and resin certifications for the 8 resins and 54 customer languages that they need to supply.

4 Likes

Good point, though the question has some merit since backers of any product are more likely to closely follow progress. In any case, I’m happy to offer an opinion, informed or otherwise. :relaxed:

6 Likes

I’m interested. I was thinking about buying a 3D printer soon anyhow.

The Olo has a footprint that is limited to 3x5x2 inches so the objects it can produce are fairly small. The FDM type of printer can usually make something with a footprint as large as 180x180 mm and 150 mm high and some can go much taller. If you want to print large objects, you are probably better off with an FDM printer. If you want to double-down on Olo, however, they have plans for a model that will use a tablet as a light source and those should be able to print objects about the size of the typical FDM printer.

4 Likes

I bought an Anet A8 a few days ago to play with it while the GF arrives. It is not the best for sure, but for around 160 bucks is a good toy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am a backer on this too! The had changed the name to Ono (Oh, No!) and here is their official website: http://www.ono3d.net/
I already have a 3d printer (Lulzbot Taz 5). I got this because it was fairly inexpensive, and has the potential to make prints with better detail, albeit smaller prints. The other thing I like about this is there seems to be a nice selection of material types, regular plastic, rubbery, and a waxlike material that you can make metal casts using as a material that gets melted out.
I am waiting on upgrading my phone. I need to see if my current phone will fit in the machine!

2 Likes

I just looked that printer up. It looks pretty sweet! You get a lot for so cheap!

I’ve been intrigued by this since it was announced, but here’s a serious question: Would you give up the use of your phone for 2 hours to print something 1 inch tall?

From their FAQ:

ONO can print a single layer of a thickness of 0.035mm to 0.2mm in 20-32 seconds. The time is determined by the brightness of the screen of your smartphone. For example: an iPhone 6 can print a 1cm tall object in approximately 46 minutes, or 1 inch in approximately 1 hour and 55 minutes.

2 Likes

I would just set it up to print when I am asleep. Just set it to Airplane mode, and you are all set. 3D prints take forever anyways.

3 Likes

Or just a phone. I’ve got half a dozen hanging around that I’ve upgraded over the years. They’re not network connected thru the phone company anymore but they are all capable of wifi operations.

5 Likes

A lot of reviews say that is the best on the US$200 range. It requieres some tinkering but can print its own upgrades :relaxed:

1 Like

Plug the charger in and go… and like @jeremiah mentioned, do it overnight.

After all, do you really need to be with your phone 24/7 ? (don’t answer that. It was a rhetorical question).

5 Likes

I like the looks of that. I also like putting things together, so that may be the one I go with. The price is right too.

1 Like

Happily!

5 Likes

The new excuse for “missing/ignoring” that call… “I’m sorry, I must have been printing something when you called…”

13 Likes

What site did you buy that on? I’ve tried gearbest.com and I am having trouble getting the order to go through.

Just a quick warning on Gearbest. If you didn’t know it already, shipping from Gearbest takes a LONG time. I ordered a bike light and it took nearly two months I think… in my case it was worth it because the cost was FAR lower than anything I could get in the US.

1 Like