3D Star Pattern

Thanks Mike!

What material and setting please.

Awesome!

It was 110lb card stock, I forget what the settings were now but most likely max speed and pretty low power.

3 Likes

We really need a way to save power settings with the designs.

1 Like

That won’t always help.

When you’re working with a new material and trying to figure out settings, you might have success with a small sample test, but when you go to a larger project the same settings can fail, because the laser head has to accelerate up to speed.

These stars are a good example. The 5-point star and 8-point star were different settings even though they’re the same material, simply because of the size. When I ran the first 8-point star using the same settings as I used for the 5-point star, the paper wasn’t cut completely through and the scores weren’t deep enough. In other words, the smaller size of the 5-point star (which I ran first) actually limited the maximum speed the gantry/head could achieve because of acceleration. If there was a way to tell what speed that was, I could have dialed that into the UI and got a good result for the larger star. Instead, I ran the larger project with what I thought were good settings because of previous successful results, and ended up with not the same result.

Paper is a twitchy material because it takes so little energy to do anything with it. 10% on power is the difference between an engrave and cutting through. I have 3 colors of 110lb card stock and each behaves differently with the same settings.

Fortunately paper is cheap and it’s no big deal to blow a few sheets to fine tune settings.

8 Likes

I use the ‘Rename’ feature on the designs on the home page. Just edit and add the settings to the name.

11 Likes

Ahh good idea!

2 Likes

IKR? As long as that has been a desired feature, when it occurred to to me I was all :no_mouth:… Oh yeah, huh.

3 Likes

Great minds. That works really well for me, too.

2 Likes

Thanks so much… looking for some simple shapes to work on in cardboard. If you have any other suggestions, I’d appreciate any advise you can give or a point in the right direction.

Put your star on my tree today. Thanks, friend.

5 Likes

I would like to cut some realistic snowflake outlines on white foam. Has anyone cut foam or found a pattern for actual snowflakes? I just cut my Founder’s ruler today so I have a bunch of questions!

The answers to both is “yes.” Just do a search for each and you’ll find what you’re looking for. Enjoy!

Search ‘Rowmark Full size’ in the forum. <3